Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped on temps...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
I'm a proponent of pulling block drain plugs when doing a drain/flush to ensure a thorough clearing of contaminants from block cooling passages. Block holds more coolant that radiator and should be drained/flushed as the manual recommends.

Most discount removing block plugs because it's a pain and a bit more work. All the the crap you hear about or see flushed out of the radiator and other orifices likely includes more of the same sitting in the bottom of the block cooling passages.

Prior to my water pump and thermostat changes drained/flushed and douched with a gallon of vinegar added to water. Ran for a few days drained/flushed a couple more times with just water.

Temps dropped more dramatically after a proper drain/flush than when new 180 thermostat installed. Water pump and fan/clutch no difference noticed.

Something you may want to consider before spending the times and bucks for a new radiator install.

I love the sound of this vinegar trick. I would try that before a new rad.

Kinda hoping I get sludged up, so I can have a go.....

Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So would it be a bad idea to try this vinegar trick now after I've already installed my new thermostat? I don't want to ruin a brand new one.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shady milkman
I was expecting 10 degrees lower to be honest, I went from a 190 original tstat to a 180. I thought I would see some kind of difference
Drive it for a week or two and your temps will go down (after bleeding). That's what happened to me.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I doubt it's your radiator.

If you really want to be sure, drain it, goto an auto parts store like auto zone and rent a camera. Hell, I bought one, it a lens on a long flexible shaft that allows you to put the lens down inside the radiator. Look around, if you see orange globs, then flush it till it's gone.

Bleeding us the main problem on just about every rover.

Park your Rover on a steep incline.
Let it run, squeeze your hoses.
Turn on the heat.
Open the bleeder.

I haven't bled mine in 6 months or longer. 190 temps, no higher than 205 ever even hauling.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Update on temps...again....

Driving temps are staying at 194-197, idle temps after a few minutes get up to about 215 and go down as soon as I give her some gas.

Starting to think something else is going on, mostly because there is absolutely no green coolant in my expansion tank but when I check the bleed screw it is as green as it can get. My expansion tank still looks like it's the same mixture of distilled water and water wetter that I put in there when I changed the coolant. Could this be a water pump issue? It doesn't seem like any coolant is circulating.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Driving temps are staying at 194-197, idle temps after a few minutes get up to about 215 and go down as soon as I give her some gas.

Starting to think something else is going on, mostly because there is absolutely no green coolant in my expansion tank but when I check the bleed screw it is as green as it can get. My expansion tank still looks like it's the same mixture of distilled water and water wetter that I put in there when I changed the coolant. Could this be a water pump issue? It doesn't seem like any coolant is circulating.
looking at your expansion tank with engine running, you should see the coolant bubbling at all times where the water is being pumped back that way via plastic tube from the throttle body heater plate or front of the intake manifold if throttle body exchange has been bypassed. It should also be getting drawn out of the bottom of the tank at the Wye below factory thermostat location before the water pump.

Last edited by chubbs878; 07-24-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My 03 disco is similar, did you ever figure out the problem?

Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Have you looked into the water pump yet? Or figure out why the coolant isn't circulating?