Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sub amp grounding - large bolt in rear cargo area - no idea what it is or does

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sub amp grounding - large bolt in rear cargo area - no idea what it is or does

Looking for a good place to ground my amp in the rear cargo area.

There is small cutout in the carpet in the shape of an upside-down U (when looking at it from inside the rear cargo area) underneath the middle row seats.

It has a very long bolt, a large washer, and under the washer something that looks like a black rubber or foam or plastic disc. Does anyone know what this bolt secures and if I could use it as a ground source?

I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find out what this is. Also, I tried looking under the vehicle, but I couldn't determine what it was holding up.

I've grounded the wire to the rear seats but I think it is an insufficient ground. The sub was working for a day or two, but now won't power on at all. Fuses are intact and power is good. Had the sub tested in a shop this afternoon and it performs fine.

I don't have a large enough star screw to unscrew the larger seat bolts. I'm basically scratching my head as to where to ground this thing.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Drifting
Old 01-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Drifting

I'm referring to the large bolt and washer up near the black rubber mat

Old 01-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

This is straight from the electrical library

Name:  QUHwHks.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  160.9 KB

Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Drifting

The problem I see w that diagram is the location of the middle ground unit towards the rear hatch seems to be up by the power mechanism for the sunroof and the two other rear ones are up and away from the amp. I could possibly utilize the rear right one but the ground wire would need to be a bit farther from the amp then recommended

Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench

What amp? What does the manufacture recommend? Ive never heard of a neg lead for an amp being to long

Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Drifting

It’s a “powered sub” so the amp is within the sub box. It’s a Rockford Fosgate p300-10. Instructions all say to keep ground wire within a couple feet of the sub/amp combo. I’m not an audio expert though... just trying to get this installed decently.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Distance should only be an issue if you're using a smaller gauge negative than positive. Honestly, I would recommend just sanding the paint off and shooting a tek screw (self tapping screw) into the sheet metal where your sub is going to be sitting. Use a washer, I'm sure the eyelet is larger than your typical tek screw head. Those small combos don't draw enough power to warrant anything crazy.

If it makes you feel better to go to a dedicated ground point then just use a larger gauge wire. One size down from your positive wire. Really not necessary though, since the entire chassis is grounded. I've done a lot of automotive electrical, especially sound systems, and I'm a professional electrician for a living.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Distance should only be an issue if you're using a smaller gauge negative than positive. Honestly, I would recommend just sanding the paint off and shooting a tek screw (self tapping screw) into the sheet metal where your sub is going to be sitting. Use a washer, I'm sure the eyelet is larger than your typical tek screw head. Those small combos don't draw enough power to warrant anything crazy.

If it makes you feel better to go to a dedicated ground point then just use a larger gauge wire. One size down from your positive wire. Really not necessary though, since the entire chassis is grounded. I've done a lot of automotive electrical, especially sound systems, and I'm a professional electrician for a living.
sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Post some pics when yer done!

Quick Reply: Sub amp grounding - large bolt in rear cargo area - no idea what it is or does