Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer buzz when raining

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer buzz when raining

Whenever it rains, I get an annoying buzz from my subwoofer in the back door. It only lasts a few minutes then it goes away, so I can live with it if I have to. I assume it is some kind of short or grounding issue, but I have no Idea where to start. Any ideas?

Last edited by Kevintj1; 07-22-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Are you sure it isn't a vibration? Mine was making a buzzing sound and it turned out to be the license plate vibrating. A little silicone fixed it. The rain thing kind of has me puzzled though. Also, the speakers in the subwoofer tend to fall apart over time. When we remove them, it is rare to find one that has good speakers. Hope that helps you out.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
5th Gear

I appreciate the thoughts, but it is definitely tied to the radio. It immediately stops when I turn off the radio. However, the volume doesn't change at all even when I turn the volume all the way down. So, I know it isn't just a blown woofer since it isn't based on the volume of the radio. It also only happens when it rains, which also confuses me.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next nice day, take a hose and spray different parts of the car good enough for flowing water to go into the body work like it would in the rain. start at different spots until the buzzing starts. Sounds like water causing an issue somewhere... why it goes away, no idea lol. Is the weather seal around the rear hatch still good? And dry rott or cracking? My first place to look guess would be the rubber seal where the rear window wiper cable runs into the door behind the spare tire carrier. It might be cracked, or missing completely, then water can flow into the door. Try replacing that seal, or coating it with rtv... or some good ol duct tape haha.

ps. it doesnt have to be tied to the radio necessarily, if any electrical component is arcing it can induce a signal through neighboring wires or the antenna itself... put on a good AM radio station and put your wipers on in almost any car, and youll pick up a buzz/hiss that go along with the wiper motors turnign on and off