Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this sucks... or does it blow???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this sucks... or does it blow???

Hello all.

This morning I wanted to see if my condenser fan would turn on right away after start up. ( lately it seems that it has been running all the time). So I start the truck and walk to the front and looked in the grill, I hear the viscous fan roar and I see the condenser fan spinning! then it stops when the viscous fan disengages......I stood up and and thought.... isn't the viscous fan supposed to pull air over the engine and not blow it out the grill.

Any ways my condenser fan always seems to come on at lower temps (no the a/c is not on, or any climate control, just a bit of heat to defog all the moisture from my leaky drivers side A-pillar) I just replaced my rad about a month ago, before that the condenser fan would come on right at 212*, now my highest temp is 201*.

any help is greatly appreciated.

have a gooder!!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, does the electric fan run with the a/c on or when you hit 212 like it supposed to?
No, the cold air is sucked into the engine compartment not blown back thru the grille as you described.
Do you have any fault codes, if so what are the numbers?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Mudding

I am not sure, I have not needed the a/c lately. but i will check on my lunch break. I have not hit 212 since the new rad. and no i have no codes. i will be doing more snooping arond after work.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A. When main fan is at "roar" level of clutch engagement, Miss Fanny Clutch is giving her all. Enough air flows so that fan blades on the electric fans will spin even though no power. Spins both on my D1.

B. Good thing that condenser fan is free spinning, and good thing if it comes on. Spec is 212F on and 202F off, if no AC. If AC on, 82+ F outside, speed under 50 mph, then on. If AC on, speed over 63, or temp under 77F, then off.

C. A fan blade can be mounted reversed, or an electric fan wires reversed. Then air flow is wrong way. One test is a paper towel or plastic trash bag held against grille should be sucked toward grille, not blown away.

D. Old story, I had a dead Miss Fanny Clutch (freewheeler instead of free mealer); plus a PO installed used electric fan set wired backwards. Turn on AC, and main fan was almost stopped by reverse air flow.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Mudding

Soooooo. The piece of paper sticks to the grill so it is doing what it should. Now when the a/c is turned on should the condenser fan turn on right away? Or is the ambient temp too low?
Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, if under 82F the ECU thinks you don't need the electric fan.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Mudding

OK so now why will it come on when engine temps are lower than 212*? Faulty temp sender. But I have no other symptoms pointing that way ie temp gauge reads zero with red light on.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Mudding

Or should I just shut up and be happy I have no major issues. *knocks on wood.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

There is only one temp sensor, which reports to the ECU and the ECU sends it to the OBDII port. If AC is engaged, it would come on lower.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Mudding

I never use ac though. Oh and now my cruise control isn't working ! Sounds like I got some work to do this weekend!

Quick Reply: this sucks... or does it blow???