Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sudden brake pad wear- grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden brake pad wear- grinding noise

My '04 now has just over 70k miles. I bought it about a year ago at 65k miles. According to LR dealer invoice printouts the PO last did the brakes around 54k. The brakes have worked fine until now, no squeaks except when cold, tho I did have the "three amigos" come on maybe three times randomly and also I get quite a bit brake dust on the front wheels.
A week ago the brakes, suddenly one day started grinding and grabbing as I would come up to a stop. I guess the pads have wore to the metal, but don't you get a little forewarning, like a high pitched whine from brake wear indicators? The rotors up front have a deep lip so I'm guessing their shot too.
Needing the truck and $ and time being an issue I continued to drive it over the last week and things have fast become much worse, to where a grinding noise happens loudly and constantly as I drive. Actually using the brakes is a real chore now, as the stopping power sucks and many awful grinding sounds cry out, enough to freak out everyone around me.
My questions are- how did the brakes go from good to crap in 1 week? Do LR dealers install good pads, and if so could they have wore out in only 16k miles? Do LR rotors last 70k miles generally? Is it poss. for an average Joe w/ limited mechanic skill to do the job- and to buy all the parts for under $500? note: there's barley a lip on the rear rotors so I'm guessing the rear brakes are good but I don't know how to check the pads. And last- if I can't do the job then there's a LR independent w/ a good rep- Dr. Vasken Auto Tech in Hermosa Beach CA- but can I drive the truck for three more miles to get to him, or am I risking catastrophic brake failure?
Thanks for any help

Old 02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Stop drivng the truck until you can replace the brake pads and rotors.
Yes the pads can wear out that fast, the LR dealer used OEM pads.
Brakes will wear out sooner with city driving vs highway driving. Towing trailers and driving down hills does not help either.
If you continue to drive the truck you will also be buying new calipers.
Yes you can do this job yourself.
To inspect your rear pads just pull the wheels off and take a look at the pads, how thick are they?
The thicker the better.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First thing you need to do is quit guessing and assuming, you are driving a Rover now.
Second, "QUIT" driving it, I don't care how busey your schedule is, you will take out some calipers next, then a speed sensor and the ABS will set a code costing you over $100 to fix.
Hope you get my point.
Go to Atlantic British, buy either the middle or top line combination of pads and rotors, install the pads along with a lot of sound deadening spray and a 3 pint DOT 4 brake flush and then start inspecting your truck on a more regular basis fo you don't keep getting these surprises.