Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

..:: UPDATE ::..

Thank you all for all the input, it has been of great help, however...

After receiving all parts (plugs, wires, coil packs, CSP Sensor and valve cover gaskets) I went over where truck was parked to tackle the issue and get it to run.

I wrongfully decided to dive in and change only the burnt wire (cyl 2) to give it a try, but of course it gave me hell because I tried to do it without disassembling or prepping the area I needed to reach into. It took me a long while, many scratches, painful positions and a lot foul language, but finally managed to replace it. When done, I raised a prayer to the LR Gods, truck cranked but no start! ...by that time the sun here in Hallandale Beach, FL was right above me, the heat on, and decided to give up for the day, basically due to my laziness and failure to had done it the right way the first time (never again). Fortunately a different "friend" called me at the right moment, and after learning what I was up to, he convinced me to wait for him to try and replace everything else, so I did, and while he arrived, I started to disassemble all that needed to in order to access the coil packs. Friend finally arrived, and gave me that much needed moral support and help I needed to keep going, besides, the sun dimmed a quite a bit.

We finally replaced both coils, and also replaced the 7 remaining wires, but ditched replacing the valve cover gaskets this time around, although it was needed. I also did not replace the CPS sensor, I left the CarQuest brand I bought in AAP that was replaced by mechanic #2, and put away the Bosch brand I had recently bought. BTW, mechanic #2 failed to put the CSP sensor cover back, he left it in an area of the undercarriage where I was able to see it when a screw I was unscrewing fell and I had to look around for. But I did not put it back on, because I now need the screws for it.

After all was put together, and I was confident everything was tight in place and ready to go, I raised another prayer to the LR Gods, and turned the key ...cranked, but no start ...this I did a couple more times ...and when about to give up a second time, my friend said, let's jump start it ...so we hooked both cars up, gave it another couple tries, and at the third time the truck came to life! ...it revved up, and then it revved down to normal ...everything seemed to be be running fine. Keep in mind that at the beginning of the week, I had taken the batt to AAP to have it fully charged for the weekend job, and when i picked it up, they told me it was charged, but it showed it had a bad cell, so a new batt was in the horizon.

So truck was running fine, picked up everything and put away tools, my friend hopped in his car, I hopped in my truck, and we both drove off as thundering rain started to fall, just right on time.

I drove off to a Chevron gas station to fill her up, so shut her off, filled her up, cranked it up, started fine, and I drove off. I arrived home, happy of my achievement in getting the truck to start, after two mechanics in a month had not; and thankful to my friend and you guys for having given me the support.

On sunday I did not drive the truck, but in the morning, although truck started up fine, I went over to AAP and bought a new battery and came back to install it. I did and it started up fine. After that I did not drive my truck that day.

Monday morning I drove to work and back home with no issues, although I may have had the feeling that the truck may had ran roughly for a sec or two, but I decided it was my brain playing tricks on me, other than, truck seems to be just dandy, and I a happy Disco driver! ...but I ran my OBD app and showed P0135 as pending, an 02 Sensor issue, but since it was "pending" I decided to monitor it to see if it when real.

Tuesday I drove to work, and when about to drive back home, as soon as I started the truck, I felt it slightly trembling and running slightly rough, but no light came on, no indication of anything being wrong... now I was all worried because of what I was feeling. Drive to home is approximately 17 miles, and just when I got off I-95 onto the ramp to Broward Blvd, I found some traffic at a stop light, and the moment I brought the truck to a stop, a sec or few later it shut off in the middle of the road and traffic, and did not want to start ...it was Deja Vu! ...although engine light did not light up this time around, I ran the OBD app again and I see, besides the previously mentioned P0135 code, a P1668 code that I cannot find anything solid on, both codes are shown under "pending" faults.

I was able to let gravity move the car backwards towards the side of the road and out of traffic, and after trying to get it started again, and visually looking for anything I already knew was faulty with no luck, I decided to call AAA and get it towed home, just a couple of miles.

So here I am again, with new CarQuest CSP sensor, new Bosch Coil packs, new NGK plugs, new Kingsborne 8mm wires, new Die Hard battery, and a tank full of gas, and truck failing to start ...again, and no burnt wire to lay fault on! Happiness was short this time around!

Once again I will appreciate your input on the matter, thanks again you all!

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-29-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

What a nightmare
go back and check all connections to coil pack and plugs
check wires sometimes they come lose touch the manifold and burn.

check fuel pressure when your cracking it maybe you got a bad fuel pump

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

CPS act up when they get warm & especially without a cover.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
What a nightmare
go back and check all connections to coil pack and plugs
check wires sometimes they come lose touch the manifold and burn.

check fuel pressure when your cracking it maybe you got a bad fuel pump
Thanks REDWHITEKAT, looking for something unplugged or lose was my initial instinct yesterday, so I did, but nothing I could see or feel, considering engine was hot, but I'm planning on checking those connections later again. Unfortunately I cannot miss work, so might not be able to look into it until the weekend. In any case, from my first check, none was touching manifold or anything that would burn them again, that I learned from recent event.
As per checking fuel pressure/pump, I'll have to see how to do that, that would be a first for me, although mechanic #2 confirmed no issues there when they "checked it" ...yet they failed to see the burnt wire.
Thanks again for your input. I'll look into that.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:03 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
CPS act up when they get warm & especially without a cover.
Thanks BEST4X4 ...I've read about it before ...although I had a new Bosch CSP sensor at hand, I did not replace the new Carquest brand mechanic #2 had put in a week or so earlier...heck, for all I know now, the original CSP sensor that was on might had been OK, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
Now, cover must be on for a reason; in fact, it seems to be made out of fiberglass, so besides covering from a hit or oil and dirt, heat should be an issue as well. I should had put it on when I found it, but I didn't have the neceessary screws at the moment, so I would need to look for them first; another weekend task for moi!
I think it would be the first thing I'll try, to replace the Carquest CSP with the new Bosch, and put the cover back on.
Anyways, I'm now a little skeptical about getting it to start again,, and have it leave me stranded on the highway next time, since my commute is pretty much 90% up and down I-95. At least until it gets figured out what exactly is causing this issue.
Thanks again for your input.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Also a good mod is the cps cover. Wrap the inside and outside with aluminum foil

Old 06-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla

Tuesday I drove to work, and when about to drive back home, as soon as I started the truck, I felt it slightly trembling and running slightly rough, but no light came on, no indication of anything being wrong... ......... Drive to home is approximately 17 miles, and just when I got off I-95 onto the ramp to Broward Blvd, I found some traffic at a stop light, and the moment I brought the truck to a stop, a sec or few later it shut off in the middle of the road and traffic, and did not want to start ..........
Classic CPS sensor failure.

if the cover is still off, start it in your driveway, get it nice and hot and shut it down.
Probably wont start. Take some water and dump it on the sensor and try to restart it. If it starts, it's the CPS. if it doesn't, you probably should check fuel pressure

Old 06-30-2021, 10:29 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

It started the first time when using jumper cables, then with a new battery. Is your alternator giving you a full charge?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:41 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Further to the charging thought, are all the charging related cable connections clean? Including any ground connections? Is the engine to body ground connected? I don’t think this is a problem on D2’s, but on my P38 I added a heavy cable going directly from the alternator to the battery. This solved a slow starting issue for me. The original cables (on the P38) seem to be marginally large enough when the vehicle is new.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:38 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Classic CPS sensor failure.

if the cover is still off, start it in your driveway, get it nice and hot and shut it down.
Probably wont start. Take some water and dump it on the sensor and try to restart it. If it starts, it's the CPS. if it doesn't, you probably should check fuel pressure
I had to tow it home last night around 8pm, spent all night rested, and when driving off to work this AM, I gave it a shot, cranked but no start still. I'll try to record the sound, since I do hear it a bit off, or maybe it's my brain and the LR Gods playing more games on me!

Quick Reply: ..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..