Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for iPod Usage w/ Harmon Kardon

Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for iPod Usage w/ Harmon Kardon

Hello all,

I have the Harmon Kardon sound system with the Alpine radio in my 1999 Disco II. It looks like the PO blew out the speakers in the rear door. I'd like to replace those speakers, but they come as a complete assembly from Harmon Kardon with the speakers wired into the assembly and then a separate connector from the assembly to the actual wiring harness to the radio.

I would also like to figure out how to connect an iPod into the radio. On another vehicle, I used an iPod adapter that plugged into the CD Changer port on the stock radio with a cable out that connects to the iPod/iPhone. I looked for something similar for the Alpine radio and I wasn't able to find anything either via a Google search or searching on the forums. Ideally, the adapter would not only allow for music to be played through the radio, but also charge the iPod/iPhone as well.

I did find one thread on the forums that talked about adding an AUX port to the front of the radio (there was a website that provided this service), but that won't charge the iPod/iPhone and I'd have to get a lighter charger.

The one thing I liked about my other vehicle is I had a mount that the cable from the adapter plugged into and I could just drop my phone in the mount and it would charge it and enable its use through the radio.

So, I have a couple of questions for ya'll:
  1. Can I just replace the speakers in the rear door assembly with the same size (I think they're 6") and then just splice the wires onto the existing speaker wires in the assembly (the assembly itself has a separate connector that connects to the wiring harness)?
  2. Is there an adapter made for the Alpine stereo that I can connect to enable iPod/iPhone usage?
  3. Has anyone replaced the radio completely with a third-party radio and how does it look/sound?
Any help would be appreciated. I've done some preliminary research on Crutchfield for replacement radios, but I'd kinda like to keep the stock radio since I would lose the steering wheel controls if I replace it.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some great threads that can help you answer your first question:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...bwoofer-21198/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...d-37318/page4/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-43775/

Moving on to your second question, does your Disco have the stock stereo? I don't think it is Alpine if it does... Most likely you have to get a third party stereo if you want ipod connectivity. All stereos now basically have the option. Even budget ones. For a little more you can even add ipod control through your stereo. I have this set up in one of my smaller cars and I love it. My ipod stays hidden in the glove box but I can control it from the dash stereo.

I have a third party stereo in my disco.. it looks alright. If you would like I can post a pic...

Last edited by bballjames; 04-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discomike has a link in his sig to a company That adds a AUX plug to the oem head unit.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Overlanding

@bballjames - I've looked at those threads and honestly they confuse me more than anything else. Some talk about the amp being attached to the subs, others talk about it being under the seat, there's talk about having to bypass the subs, etc., etc., etc. I'll probably just get some replacement speakers from Crutchfield that will work in the sub assembly. They always provide instructions on how to modify things to work for your car, so that's probably the route I'll go.

I do have the alpine head unit. It's what came with the HK sound system. I'm actually going to be pulling the center dash apart this weekend to replace it (A/C vents are all busted), so I'm going to take a good look at the head unit and see if I can figure out what's involved in maybe adding an adapter. I've seen a few folks talk about the GROM adapter and that may be what I end up going with assuming my head unit has the CD Changer port (it should as it has the CD button on the face).

@ebg18t - Yeah, that's what I was referring to about putting an AUX port on the front of the head unit. The only problem with that is you end up with cables all over the place (one for the cigarette lighter charger and another for the cable from the audio out to the AUX port).

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also looking at the grom adapter in place of my cd changer. But I not want to put my iPhone under the seat.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Overlanding

The GROM adapter plugs into the back of the head unit replacing the cable that goes to your CD Changer. You then run a cable from the adapter that plugs into the iPod/iPhone. I may go that route, but I can't find whether they sell one that fits the Discovery or not. The only one they list on their website is for the Range Rover.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
dgh
Overlanding

I worked my way through those threads and rejected them, too. If you're not an audiophile I highly recommend the Motorola Roadster which mounts on the visor.

iPhone ---->. Bluetooth ----> Roadster
Roadster ----> FM -> Stereo (pick a channel)

The device does hands free speakerphone and the steering wheel volume control works.

I put a charger in the panel above the visor wired to the dome light and then threaded a USB connector through. Clean install. I leave the device charging all the time.. When I hop in the car it makes the Bluetooth connection and I am good to go.

Downsides? It costs about $100 +/- But compared to your other options?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwimmerlaik
The GROM adapter plugs into the back of the head unit replacing the cable that goes to your CD Changer. You then run a cable from the adapter that plugs into the iPod/iPhone. I may go that route, but I can't find whether they sell one that fits the Discovery or not. The only one they list on their website is for the Range Rover.
I have one of those adapters for my landrover disco 2, 1999, it plugs into the cd changer and than you just reroute the wires up to your vent where you can mount a ipod/iphone vent holder.
Here's the link where you can purchase one.
Land Rover iPod And MP3 Player Converter Kit (Same As Part # DIG MUSIC)

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I just installed these today. FRYS.com | MAXXSONICS

No drilling of new holes needed. Slipped in and screwed it in place of the old ones. Cut old wires and soldered on the new. Not working yet because PO put in aftermarket stereo/Nav and sub woofer (which took up one of the rear storage boxes) and spliced into the unit that plugged into the old amp. He did not connect the old subwoofers to the new amp. I will try and locate in the rave the color code for the rear subs and add them to the amp this weekend. I'll keep you posted as to how they sound.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mx468
I have one of those adapters for my landrover disco 2, 1999, it plugs into the cd changer and than you just reroute the wires up to your vent where you can mount a ipod/iphone vent holder.
Here's the link where you can purchase one.
Land Rover iPod And MP3 Player Converter Kit (Same As Part # DIG MUSIC)
That's actually a pretty slick adapter and it's cheaper than the GROM adapter + mount + holder combination I was looking at.

Thanks for the link!