Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun roof motors? Anyone have a cross reference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021 | 04:20 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Sun roof motors? Anyone have a cross reference?

I can’t find anything but used motors on eBay. I’d really like to find a new/remaned that’s not $200. Anyone been successful doing so?

Last edited by Frank4; 01-23-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2021 | 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Take your existing motors apart and brush clean the magnets. There is a really good chance they will work once put back together. Both of the motors were out in my D2 and I was able to get them working. Took longer to pull them out than it did to repair them. And yes, you can get the back one out without dropping the headliner.

Old 01-25-2021 | 04:44 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jdbayer
Take your existing motors apart and brush clean the magnets. There is a really good chance they will work once put back together. Both of the motors were out in my D2 and I was able to get them working. Took longer to pull them out than it did to repair them. And yes, you can get the back one out without dropping the headliner.

yeah I pulled it and cleaned the hell out of it and got it spinning again but I know it’s not going to work forever. And I only open it to clean the sunroof drain holes. Once the motor ****s the bed I afraid it’ll leak again

Old 01-26-2021 | 07:40 AM
Camel Trophy

It's actually better not to clean the commutator in the motor unless there is corrosion on it. The graphite left by the brushes is both conductive and acts as a lubricant increasing the life of the brushes.

No idea on a 3rd party source, but if/when they wear out you should be able to source some new brushes based on the dimensions of the originals. Same goes for the bearings, if it uses them. If it uses bushings they may be available or they may be custom. If something happens to the windings I would just find a used motor; that is very unlikely to happen. If you wanted to go all out you could have the motor re-wound, but it would be cost prohibitive which is not what you're looking for. Same goes for the bushings, which is what I'm guessing it uses. If they are not available it would be very easy to have new ones turned, but you'd very likely be better off to simply get a used motor to use parts from.

Honestly though, it's such a light usage case that you are never going to "wear out" the motor. The only thing that would kill it is heat (from getting locked up and continuing to try to operate it) or corrosion.

Old 01-26-2021 | 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling

The motor is the same as millions of power window motors. If the motor is bad, just swap out a used, or new one, with one of those.

The high cost of remaining new sunroof units is the part with the gears and specifically located holes for screws to attach it. Apparently that part isn't being produced.

That part, if it's the actual problem, comes apart the same as a common window motor. There is a spring snap ring clip on the gear, when removed, allows access to the interior. There is likely a plastic gear that can be replaced cheaply if damaged. This gear is about two inches in diameter and has lots of small teeth around it, like a coin. Don't lose the metal gear. It is not a typical nine tooth gear, as on window motors.

Old 01-27-2021 | 02:05 AM
Pro Wrench

I would just get a used one. I have at least 4-5 in a box in a storage unit, either they work, or they get seized up from water/rust. I wouldn't hesitate to put a used sunroof motor on mine if I needed one.

Old 01-27-2021 | 07:38 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I would just get a used one. I have at least 4-5 in a box in a storage unit, either they work, or they get seized up from water/rust. I wouldn't hesitate to put a used sunroof motor on mine if I needed one.
yeah, I’ve been that route a couple times. Just want a new motor.