Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drip tray repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof drip tray repairs?

I am trying to figure out how to affix the rubber tube that connects to the sump. It looks like the spigot/nipple that comes out of the sump broke off and is nowhere to be found. I tried gluing/epoxying the rubber tube right up to the sump but that hasn't worked out so well.

Does anyone recall any write-ups or have advice as to how to fix this or should I just replace the drip tray?

Thanks!

Matt

Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KlamathMatt
I am trying to figure out how to affix the rubber tube that connects to the sump. It looks like the spigot/nipple that comes out of the sump broke off and is nowhere to be found. I tried gluing/epoxying the rubber tube right up to the sump but that hasn't worked out so well.

Does anyone recall any write-ups or have advice as to how to fix this or should I just replace the drip tray?

Thanks!

Matt
Realistically, the sunroof tray needs to be changed. Otherwise, about the best option (speaking from experience) is to fiberglass the inside of the tray with a replacement barb (check the plumbing section at HD or Lowes). In the end, I had about 10 hours basically refurbishing the entire tray, which I would just replace for the $50 some-odd dollars they cost used. Trouble is, they're not always available. There are some guys on the forum that can help with that too...

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The hollow kitchen unit threaded plastic/nylon joint dowel/screws which are about 5/16" diameter x 2" long can be drilled out larger and fitted through the small sump with the nut (plastic or metal) outside and sealed with either flexible mastic or epoxy glue. They are used a lot when the sump tube has broken off.

They are a bit like these but with a male thread 5/15" dia and 2" in length.
Plastic Nylon Pe Cabinet Furniture Connecting Binder Post And Screws - Buy Connecting Binder Post And Screws,Zinc Connecting Binder Post And Screws,Brass Connecting Binder Post And Screws Product on Alibaba.com

Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, these sunroof repair photos shows how to repair the drain sump spigot and save a fortune from the stealerships overpriced sunroof trays.

Discovery - How to repair a leaking sunroof guide - Land Rover Zone

When re-sealing the sunroof tray back into the truck use black marine grade or auto grade flexible silicon mastic as it doesn't harden and degrade like domestic silicon mastic. Good luck it's a really crappy job and time consuming but better than rain water down the back of your neck every time it rains.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-21-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain tray repair help

Thanks for the info and tips....should be an interesting day...i dont know if i have those connector bolts at the local store but looks like I should be able to come up with something similar. Very helpful...thanks!