Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof failure update.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sunroof failure update.

As most of you know I have taken on this challenge. I have most of the sunroof components redesigned and ready for mass production. This update is essential in understanding why exactly these sunroofs are failing. The main contributor is a small 7/16 X 5/16 friction guide. This guide is mounted inside the sunroof mounting bracket. Attached to the bracket is the main working component, the block. The block gets bent under pressure when the sunroof closes. The original design tolerance is off by 2/16 which causes pressure and the block bends. Once the block bends it increases pressure to other components. This pressure ultimately causes the spring gear to snap at the point where it attaches to the block. This causes complete failure. There are two options to this problem. 1. You can remove this little friction guide. However the missing guide causes too much free movement which will eventually wear down the sunroof mount and block. 2. I have redesigned the friction guide to allow for the necessary tolerance to eliminate bending and damage to the block and spring gear.