Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof and headliner

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sunroof and headliner

Been searching and it seems the only way to attempt blowing out the drain tubes is to first remove the headliner. Anyone ever try running a wire down the tube without removing the headliner? Is the even possible?

Secondly, can someone point me in the direction of a good write up on headliner removal?

Tks

Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a good write up if you search google from a U.K. based company that specializes in rovers with pictures. I took mine down and blew out the front and back and redid the epoxy where the plastic drain cups attack to the metal. Which one is leaking or stopped up? If it's the rear, you can partially undo the rear headliner(held up by one bolt) and remove the rear tail lights and blow it back towards the sunroof but put some rags close to the opening. You can also blow it from the sunroof to the back drain tubes with the right style air nozzle without dropping the whole headliner. But if it's the cups leaking, u will need to drop the whole thing. It's not a hard project. Just time consuming and some patience. But where is it leaking

Old 11-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/removing-headliner-example-40435/#/topics/40435?_k=ims8gg

there is a link to another forum with pics. Hope it helps

Old 11-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/removing-headliner-example-40435/#/topics/40435?_k=ims8gg

Old 11-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I printed out this and gave it to my 16 yo daughter and she did the job herself on Thanksgiving day. Took her about 6 hours.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...2-26219/page4/

The only help she needed was getting the sunvisor clips out. Take out the screw and turn to the left 90 degrees then pull out.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
There is a good write up if you search google from a U.K. based company that specializes in rovers with pictures. I took mine down and blew out the front and back and redid the epoxy where the plastic drain cups attack to the metal. Which one is leaking or stopped up? If it's the rear, you can partially undo the rear headliner(held up by one bolt) and remove the rear tail lights and blow it back towards the sunroof but put some rags close to the opening. You can also blow it from the sunroof to the back drain tubes with the right style air nozzle without dropping the whole headliner. But if it's the cups leaking, u will need to drop the whole thing. It's not a hard project. Just time consuming and some patience. But where is it leaking

Thanks to all for the info. I was afraid that "time consuming" was going to be the response.

Luckyjayb, it's the front passenger side.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Removing the headliner, recovering and refitting isn't difficult just a PITA and you have to be careful with the clips above the rear load door, they break easily. The materials to recover the headliner are sold on Ebay, you'll need 1.6 metre wide (definite size) by I guess about 3 or 4 metres long but check the length with a measure tape plus 300mm.

The most difficult part is if you have rear aircon as the ducts have to be removed to remove the rear sunroof which means drilling out the pop rivets and later re-riveting them. IMO to do the job allow a full weekend as the glue has to set and better in summer than in winter even inside a garage.

The whole job costs around £200 in materials including genuine sunroof seals back and front, marine mastic for the sunroof, material and spray glue for the headliner etc.

Ensure all of your tools and workbench is spotlessly clean before you start and wear disposable gloves to minimise finger marks when refitting or stripping out.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The most difficult part is if you have rear aircon as the ducts have to be removed to remove the rear sunroof which means drilling out the pop rivets and later re-riveting them. IMO to do the job allow a full weekend as the glue has to set and better in summer than in winter even inside a garage.
Maybe this depends on the model of your D2, because I have rear air and didn't have to drill or remove any of the ductwork.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I printed out this and gave it to my 16 yo daughter and she did the job herself on Thanksgiving day. Took her about 6 hours.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...2-26219/page4/
That's a great guide. Here are some notes I posted a few years ago after removing and painting the headliner in my truck.

https://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64989

You spoke only about addressing the water leaks, but if your headliner is sagging or if you want to redo it proactively I strongly recommend painting it instead of installing new fabric.

Quick Reply: Sunroof and headliner