Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof question

My Disco started to get the common leaky sunroof last week, so I guess its time to tear it apart next week to clear the drains and clean / reseal everything. I know there have been threads on this before but I wasn't able to find any stickies or walkthroughs on the topic. If anybody knows of a good walkthrough I would love to get a link.

Also, what should I get for parts / specialty tools to do this? It seems like getting the trim pieces and headliner down is going to be more work than actually fixing the sunroof. I want to only take it down once if I can help it.

So far i'm thinking I will need:
- new rubber seals?
- adhesive RTV silicone to seal sunroof pan
- some type of spray adhesive to re-stick the headliner fabric once everything gets dried out

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by james.martin1
My Disco started to get the common leaky sunroof last week, so I guess its time to tear it apart next week to clear the drains and clean / reseal everything. I know there have been threads on this before but I wasn't able to find any stickies or walkthroughs on the topic. If anybody knows of a good walkthrough I would love to get a link.

Also, what should I get for parts / specialty tools to do this? It seems like getting the trim pieces and headliner down is going to be more work than actually fixing the sunroof. I want to only take it down once if I can help it.

So far i'm thinking I will need:
- new rubber seals?
- adhesive RTV silicone to seal sunroof pan
- some type of spray adhesive to re-stick the headliner fabric once everything gets dried out

Thanks for the input guys.
Hmmm, common problem on D2's and other models even newer ones.

If you Google the subject there are many walk through vids and photos on this subject. You'll need to clean up all your tools first, new seals between the sunroof frame and body shell, new glass to sunroof frame seals and good bodyshell silicone mastic or marine silicone mastic. A plastic trim fixing lifter is a useful tool as is clear silicon spray for easing fixings out. Ensure you clean off all the old mastic around the sunroof frame and the bodyshell aperture before you fix it back with new seals and mastic.

As for sticking back the head lining, it's not that simple unfortunately, the best is to reline the headliner with new cloth as the old separates from the backing and removing the old glue is a PITA.