Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Articulation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Articulation

So, the one major issue I had today on the trail (other than TC being off and the TT not locking up well, and oh the fire ) was lack of articulation, a few times I really did feel close to going over on the side and a few obstacles I just couldn't get over because of the multiple wheels in the air issue.

Right now I have about 2.5" of lift with RTE springs in the front and a 2" spacer in the rear. I was thinking I could put a set of 1" spring spacers all around to gain another inch, correct the castor, put u-joints front and back and that will let me fit some 34" or 35" Simex Centipedes under there for wheeling days and still look ok with 32" street tires and involve minimal if any trimming. I have the OME nitrocharger shocks now.

What I'd like to do is increase articulation, I'm guessing I need cones, mounts, long travel shocks (which ones? adjustable would be nice) spring retainers, sway bar disconnects front and back, anything else? Is there a way to rig the top of the air springs so they can disconnect and re-seat? Something I could make? I'm up for ideas... didn't like getting outwheeled by Samurai today. (Granted they were very very heavily modified 36-38" tires etc..... )

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suspension Articulation

Sway bar disconnects would make the biggest differance.

Willie

Old 10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Also if you have too short of shocks they might be allowing full travel. Do you have longer brake lines?

Willie

Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling

theres a lot you have to upgrade if you want to wheel with 35s. if you just want to have more articulation, lose the sway bars, get coils in the rear, new extended brake likes, abs extensions, lower front shock mounts, and new shocks. i only have experience with bilstein 7100 shocks and so far they have been great. you can also get fox shocks with valving for the rover.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 AM
ajh
Winching

I have the longer stainless lines, and I have ABS extensions to put on as well. I need to be able to hop in and drive 20,000km in a trip so having no swaybars just isn't an option, the slickrock disconnects are easy enough to put in the front. In the back I'm not sure what to use. Everyone here raves about Fox Air Shocks, I would like to keep the airbags so adding another 1" spacer all around and retaining the front springs 'should' help a lot right? I don't need to do it all at once. Doing better on each trail run would be nice though, a little less diff scraping.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Where do you go wheeling that you need this sort of a lift, or is this for looks? Are you ready to loose another 2 plus MPG with 35's? By the way, do you have ACE?
Arsell has a great lift on his truck, it has taken him alot of time and money to make a great D1 for the Colorado trails, but I think he might agree, this is not going to be the ideal touring vehicle, much less you can't park in a garage of public parking with out tearing off your roof.
Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM
ajh
Winching

The hardest I've been on so far is the Quinn Trail in Calabogie, Ontario. Canadian Shield. It is in no way for looks. I do not have ACE. I actually want to lift as little as possible. I plan on having an offroad only set of rims with Simex Extreme Trekker tires on them (bias ply, massive lugs etc) and continue running my 245/75R16's on moderate stuff and snow roads and my 18's for long on-road trips.

Yeah, you're right with my rack I currently just fit into some lots and it would suck not to fit, but I won't have the higher tires on then anyway because they ride like you're on washboard. I realize I need to compromise, perhaps fitting 34's and front and back disconnects, trimming my ARB up a bit (yeah should have got a rovertym I know) moving the winch up onto the cans and a frame vs on the bumper, pulling it back a bit to improve approach angle, and rovertym rear bumper (need a new rear anyway) which will help with many of the issues. After that who knows, once I get my low range working I'm hoping the gearing is good or I may drop it a bit, HD rear axles of course. I do want to approach things sensibly, there are already a few things I would have done differently, and I'm considering buying a few parts trucks so I can do some of the more interesting things as experiments first.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Where do you go wheeling that you need this sort of a lift, or is this for looks? Are you ready to loose another 2 plus MPG with 35's? By the way, do you have ACE?
Arsell has a great lift on his truck, it has taken him alot of time and money to make a great D1 for the Colorado trails, but I think he might agree, this is not going to be the ideal touring vehicle, much less you can't park in a garage of public parking with out tearing off your roof.
Mike
lol. theres no way in hell i'd consider my rover a good touring vehicle. too slow, vibrates, brakes arent too strong, steering isnt perfect and it handles poorly. its fine for my daily 5 mile commute though!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM
ajh
Winching

Well that's all rovers isn't it? Yeah, I need a balance, so going to a 10" lift isn't my goal, just as good articulation as I can get with 3". If I'm driving in high-Patagonia I don't want to get stuck or stopped... but I do still need to get there and back too.