Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension, tires and lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 08:57 PM
|
Drifting
Default Suspension, tires and lift question

Hey guys. I'm new here and am glad to find this forum. Lots of good info. Anyway, I just bought my first Land Rover 2 days ago. 2000 Disco II .. See I learned some lingo already. Ok. It has 137k and I KNOW the shocks need replacing and I'm pretty sure the front springs are weak or dead. Bottoms out pretty easy with a dip in my neighborhood.

So, I was wanting to know what the best lift if any, shocks and springs and tire typeandsize recomendations you guys might have for me. I will rarely drive it off road unless I go out hunting again someday, but I like the look of a slightly lifted truck with a larger tire on it. I also dont want the tire noise and short life with big lug tires.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Old 12-07-2008 | 09:15 PM
Team Owner
Default RE: Suspension, tires and lift question

Well just replacing your worn out springs will give you lift, almost 2".
You can use new LR springs or Old Man Emu (OME) medium duty springs.
Do you have SLS? If not make sure that you replace all four springs.
245/75/16 will be the largest tire you can run with out adding a actual lift.
Oversized tires (bigger than 245/75)will be noisy and reduce your MPG and not wear very long.
I love the Cooper Discoverer S/T, great off road and good on road. And very aggressive looking.
Alot of guys on here like the General Grabber AT2. That also comes in a 18" size.
I think the BFG All Terrain A/T is a crap tire and way overpriced.

www.atlanticbritish.com has spring and shock kits.

Old 12-08-2008 | 06:28 AM
|
Drifting

What is SLS? If you mean self leveling system then no. I dont have air bags. I will take a look at that site you posted. If I get close to 2" of lift over what it is right now that should be good. Thanks for the help. I'll be checking out spring and shock packages now.

Old 12-08-2008 | 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i bought my lift from RTE... www.rovertym.com... i'm super happy with it... i have the RTE springs with old man emu shocks... you could also check http://www.lrrforums.com/store/index.php there... they have the old man emu springs and shocks...

Old 12-08-2008 | 09:08 AM
Administrator

Do not buy new Rover springs because they will just settle again on you like your current ones have.
Go either OME or RTE and select the coil rating best for your driving puirposes.

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:06 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I think the BFG All Terrain A/T is a crap tire and way overpriced.

The key here is the 'I think' (With all due respect Spike!). The majority of guys I know that run hard in Baja run BFG ATs with the 3 ply side wall and they trust it.
Look at how many times they've one the Baja 1000 and 500.

I just blew the sidewall of a Michelin cross terrain at 70mph on dirt, I'll never own those again. The upshot of that was, I found out what was causing my vibration from 70 to 75mph... likely busted radial, which caused the sidewall to pop in that crappy tire.

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:32 AM
Mudding

Any preference for OME vs. RTE? Looking to keep the ride height stock or very close on the 04 Disco 2. I still have the SLS which works fine, but am looking for a stiffer ride.

Old 12-08-2008 | 11:40 AM
5th Gear

hey guys and girls this is all new to me , im an englishman living in the u.s and being the proud Englishman i am i bought a 99land rover discovery series 2 , WITH SLS!!! i love my vehicle but the SLS is giving me grief , it occaisionally goes down whilst driving , dont ask me why , if i dont notice in time iwill not raise back up unless i park it and shut it off (the engine) for at least an hour , once it regains its air it stays up , but theres no telling when it will lower itself , i observe the system working when i stop at lights e.t.c but i really dont need this happening at speed especially on highways and such , can anyone help ?

Old 12-08-2008 | 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: masonwivthblues

hey guys and girls this is all new to me , im an englishman living in the u.s and being the proud Englishman i am i bought a 99land rover discovery series 2 , WITH SLS!!! i love my vehicle but the SLS is giving me grief , it occaisionally goes down whilst driving , dont ask me why , if i dont notice in time iwill not raise back up unless i park it and shut it off (the engine) for at least an hour , once it regains its air it stays up , but theres no telling when it will lower itself , i observe the system working when i stop at lights e.t.c but i really dont need this happening at speed especially on highways and such , can anyone help ?

my suggestion to you is to do the coil spring conversion... with all the time and money you will probably spend troubleshooting and repairing the sls it is a geed deal of the time cheaper to just convert to coils and then you no longer have all the electronics and compressors and air lines and valves and solenoids and switches and fuses and wires that you have now... but that of course is only one mans opinion...

Old 12-08-2008 | 12:21 PM
|
Drifting

Oh. The current tires are 255/65-16 which according to the door tag is the stock tire size. I definatly want to go bigger.

Quick Reply: Suspension, tires and lift question