Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaybar disconnects or remove swaybars altogether?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swaybar disconnects or remove swaybars altogether?

My lift has been delayed due to springs being on back order from Rovertym, but should be here late next week. I put the brake lines on today (+6" ) and am prepping for the springs, shocks, dislocation cones, watts linkage, etc. to be delivered. Rovertym recommends either removing the swaybars or swaybar disconnects to gain the full suspension articulation the rest of the system makes the vehicle capable of. What are you all running, bars with disconnects or no bars at all? Pros/cons?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is a matter of choice and type of trails you go on.
Have you rebuilt your front drive line yet, if not could finish it off, so put that on your list to do ASAP. Also noticed you are running a K&N filter, do yourself a favor and get rid of it, it will trash your MAF and it lets way too much dirt thru and into the engine.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Mudding
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
It is a matter of choice and type of trails you go on.
Have you rebuilt your front drive line yet, if not could finish it off, so put that on your list to do ASAP. Also noticed you are running a K&N filter, do yourself a favor and get rid of it, it will trash your MAF and it lets way too much dirt thru and into the engine.
I need the articulation for the trails I run and want to run so I'm curious how it handles on the road without the swaybars. Driveshaft was the first thing replaced, kn was on from the PO, has been for 40k, must be a case by case basis on ruining maf.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Winching

I took my rears off and barely notice.

P.s. With 2" springs, you're factory brake lines are fine. Which shocks are you running? They're the limiting factor.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every vehicle I've been in with the front sway bar out was VERY sloppy on the road..I suggest disconnects for the front and taking out the rear unless you plan on towing with it

Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
I need the articulation for the trails I run and want to run so I'm curious how it handles on the road without the swaybars. Driveshaft was the first thing replaced, kn was on from the PO, has been for 40k, must be a case by case basis on ruining maf.
They still let in too much dust and dirt especially in an offroaded truck. That can cause very severe premature wear in your engine. A paper filter costs $20 and lasts a couple years.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Some day you will buy a new MAF and remember this warning. As just mentioned they are terribly dirty filters, allowing way too much dirt into the engine.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I took my rears off and barely notice.

P.s. With 2" springs, you're factory brake lines are fine. Which shocks are you running? They're the limiting factor.
They will be ome +3"sports, but I've already replaced the lines this weekend, the ABS extensions will be here this week with the rest of the kit (I hope).

Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
every vehicle I've been in with the front sway bar out was VERY sloppy on the road..I suggest disconnects for the front and taking out the rear unless you plan on towing with it
Where's the best buy for disconnects, the ones I found were about $150. I was told by Rte the HD springs will negate a lot of roll, but that front bar is huge so I can see how removing it would cause it to drive sloppy. I will tow occasionally with it, but not enough to make the decision for me.

Quick Reply: Swaybar disconnects or remove swaybars altogether?