Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Coolant

In the next couple of months I plan on replacing the head gaskets on the '04 disco I picked up last week. I want to do as much as possible when I have everything taken apart and one of those things is switching coolant. Being that differnt types of coolant do not mix, do I need to replace the heater core, radiator, and all hoses to make sure no unwanted chemical reactions can occur? In addition to switching the coolant I plan on replacing the wires as well but is there any thing else I should consider doing while I have everything apart like replacing the water pump?

Thank you!
'04 Disco 77k

Old 10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you already need gaskets at 77k?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just hose out the block, radiator and heater core to get all the old stuff out. I would not replace the water pump unless it is leaking.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Right before you do the gaskets drain out the old coolant, fill with water, idle the engine with the heater on, idle for 20 min with the cap off the overflow tank.
Shut it down and let it cool for 15 min.
Drain.
Refill and repeat.
Keep doing this until nothing but clear water comes out.
Then do your gaskets.

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok so let me get this straight, to swap Dex-Cool to "green" antifreeze just flush out the DC and replace witht the green anitfreeze. No adverse effects? Better for HG? I have DC in my 04 with 81k with no visable leaks or problems.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Yes, flush with water and refill with either a 50/50 pre-mixed coolant or mix it yourself using distilled water.
As long as it is aluminum safe you can use anything you want.
You can flush with the garden hose but you MUST use distilled water in your final mix.
If you buy it pre-mixed they will warranty the cooling system and coolant, if you mix it yourself you are on your own.

As for you not having any leaks yet brook, great, good for you and more power to you bro.

Now here is alittle history, DI's have the same cooling system as a DII, all aluminum.
When the DI came out aluminum safe coolant had not been invented yet, so Rover said to change your coolant every 36 months or 30,000 miles, whichever is sooner.
Most people did not do this and the radiator corroded and clogged, hence the overheating issues on DI's starting around 90-100k.
The fix is a new radiator, there are plenty of threads on here where the DI was overheating and needed a new radiator.

Cooling system maintenance is just as important as changing the oil.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes, flush with water and refill with either a 50/50 pre-mixed coolant or mix it yourself using distilled water.
As long as it is aluminum safe you can use anything you want.
You can flush with the garden hose but you MUST use distilled water in your final mix.
If you buy it pre-mixed they will warranty the cooling system and coolant, if you mix it yourself you are on your own.

As for you not having any leaks yet brook, great, good for you and more power to you bro.

Now here is alittle history, DI's have the same cooling system as a DII, all aluminum.
When the DI came out aluminum safe coolant had not been invented yet, so Rover said to change your coolant every 36 months or 30,000 miles, whichever is sooner.
Most people did not do this and the radiator corroded and clogged, hence the overheating issues on DI's starting around 90-100k.
The fix is a new radiator, there are plenty of threads on here where the DI was overheating and needed a new radiator.

Cooling system maintenance is just as important as changing the oil.
Ok just wanted to clarify, and yes no leaks yet, lol.... thats what I'm trying to avoid, so I guess I will flush that DC crap out and go green, so to speak!

thanks spike

Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Your welcome.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Angry

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your welcome.
Now that I said that the HG will probably blow tomorrow lol......

Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Team Owner

Yup, you jinked yourself.

You need to go outside right now and strip down naked, rub motor oil on your face and and chest and run around your truck three times clock wise chanting to the Rover Gods.

Quick Reply: Switching Coolant