Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from regular to premium

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 04discomw
Hey disco mike, I noticed you live in Colorado. I live in Denver and just purchased a 04 disco. The dealer said not to put 91 octane because the altitude and said it's a waste of money and even harmful to the engine. It would be nice to use 87 or 85 but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the engine and performance. What are your thoughts?
where did your mech go to school, crackerjack college where all you have to do is open the box and have the brains to shake prize from the box?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was actually the salesman who told me not to use premium. doing a search online, it seems the altitude does affect octane by reducing the air pressure and compression. but i guess i'll use premium. better safe than sorry.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it was actually the salesman who told me not to use premium. doing a search online, it seems the altitude does affect octane by reducing the air pressure and compression. but i guess i'll use premium. better safe than sorry.
Yes altitude does have some affect but if the gas stations around you have 93, use it.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

a quick octane lesson for those interested.... octane is the measurement of how fast a gas burns....and it sorta works backwards of what you may think....any given volume of LOW octane fuel burns faster than a high one. Imagine for a second if the combustion /explosion going on in your cylinder volume were to happen BEFORE the piston was in position to accept (or make efficient use of ) it would hit or "knock" the top of the piston at the wrong time......thus the pinging, knocking, associated with low octane fuel......in an engine like our Rovers have , that wasn't designed for low octane fuel in the first place.
That same volume of high octane fuel makes the combustion event (pressure on the piston)occur at the right time and quite possibly last longer in the cylinder......better performance and economy.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Anything to make a sale....

If our engines had a EGR you could use regular grade gas at the higher altitudes, but they dont.
So you will still have the excessive heat build up.