Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swivel Ball Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave cd

is this somthing i can order through maybe Atlantic british part catalog or is it available on the internet , my using google as the search engine

Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Three Wheeling

I saw this link in this forum once, but I have no experience with this, so I may be talking out of my rear...
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Drivetrain.SwivelBalls.html

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by texmanmoore
is this somthing i can order through maybe Atlantic british part catalog or is it available on the internet , my using google as the search engine
Find AK Rover, the RAVE download is in his sig.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Mudding

what grease is recommended? i was gonna use Lucas red-n-tacky any other suggestions other then the Land Rover stuff?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you rebuild your swivels do change the pins or simply do the bearings and adjust the pre-load? I have the wobble of death and I'm trying to part with it. I'll be changing my tierods and I will rebuild my swivels, hope it will do...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Drifting
Default Jull responce

Thx to all that have provided addional information , Jull , the tie rod end replacment was my first replacment , and adjusting the preload of the swival have worked for a few months , I think all my problems are in the replacement of the swival ***** either new or fix any pits once i inspect them, and also buy new preload bearings, I'm hoping the tie rod replacment wasnt any bad or defective parts ?? This is very frustraiting, Im surprized more folks havent had this problem.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Winching

Well in fact quite a lot of people had this problem from what I heard. At least 10 on this forum did. I will replace my tierods because they're bad anyway si it may be part of the problem and I plan to buy new tires so I want the wheels properly aligned.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jull - while you have your tierods off, wiggle your wheels up/down, (hands @ 12 & 6)

Whichever shows play (wiggle hard), that swivel brg. has play. That play causes the infamous death wobble.
You can pull the (2) bolts on the bottom, carefully keeping track of the shims, remove the thinnest, recheck for play.

If you still have play, reinstall the thinnest, remove next thicker, so on.

If you like it, then put a fish scale on your open tie rod, check for 14# drag.(that's your target #)

I also replaced my swivel seals & repaired gouges in my *****? last year w/o removing
the swivels - worked great

luck,greg

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Winching

That's what I had in mind. I ordered a kit to rebuild the swivels, it has all shims, bearings and seals and costs around 40$. I'll get to it as soon as I get my hands on the kit.

If the tierods and the swivel rebuild don't cure the wobble then I'll be totally puzzled...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default death wobble

Originally Posted by Jull
That's what I had in mind. I ordered a kit to rebuild the swivels, it has all shims, bearings and seals and costs around 40$. I'll get to it as soon as I get my hands on the kit.

If the tierods and the swivel rebuild don't cure the wobble then I'll be totally puzzled...
It will, virtually every case of the shakes (disco) that I've read about is related to swivel ball lower pin wear and is resolved by rebuild or adjustment.

& the new seal can be cut and fit w/o removing everything unless you want to nose around in there.

Quick Reply: Swivel Ball Rebuild?