Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swivels and U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swivels and U-joints

Hi Guys!

Well I have pretty much completed DiscoMikes 60k service list, and the Disco is really running great! But in the last few days I have started to notice a scraping/grinding noise that increases and decreases with intensity when I am moving (forward or backward) with the wheel turned sharply, I think it is coming from the drivers side. It is completely silent when moving in a straight line... I have searched the forum and there are multiple references to checking the fluid level in the swivel joints for noises like this, but I can't see any info on exacly how that is done or what fluid should be in there and how to add more if it is low. Could someone please post a quick how to?

The second thing I have noticed is that occasionaly when I hit the breaks there is a clunk that I can hear and feel through the floor board. I also hear a clunk when the transmission down shifts when slowing down. But the clunk doesn't occur if I am slowing down using the breaks. Could this be the u-joints or is it related to the problem above? I checked and all 3 u-joints are servicable...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Swivels and U-joints

Forgot the details...

1996 Disco I

Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When you did the service, did you check the swivels for fluid, when were they jast serviced, and is the noise louder when trurning one direction or another?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Actually I don't know how to check the fluid in the swivels, could you please post a "how to"? Unfortunatlely I have no maintenance records from the previous owners... But all I can say is that it was not maintained up to my standards :-)

So far I have not noticed any appreciable difference between moving with the wheels turned in one direction or the other.

Thanks
Andy

Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On the inside of your brakes, there is a shiny ball looking thing. There is a fill plug on top, and I think your year has a drain on the bottom. Go to the dealer and get some one shot grease packs and shoot it in the top plug. They spec 90W gear oil, but since they tend to leak, LR made a grease concotion to stay in there...

Mine is a 97 and does not have a drain plug, but the manual says it should. If you don't have one, don't worry.

Also, you might check to make sure you don't have a tire rubbing. You may need to adjust your steering stops.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 plugs on my 96 one the bottom is a small one about
8mm then there is a square plug and another small one.
The large square plug is where you add the one about 1/2 way
up is the full mark once oil comes out its full.(small plug)
the very bottom one it to drain the gear oil if it still has gear oil in it if
it has the gray grease it will not drain.

If it has gray grease the check plug will not have anything come
out do not add anything or you will have a axle seal leak in to the
diff.
One of the plugs is a longplug/nut about 1/4 in on very thin threads
and it has a headabout 7mm .

Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this swivel a component I would need to check as part of maintenance on an '03, or is this an early model thing?

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Ok thanks! I will check that the swivels tonight. But I am not sure that the swivel is the cause. Becuase its not turning the steering wheel that causes the noise. Its when i am making a sharp turn (forwards or back wards). Then I get this rythmic metalic grinding/scraping noise that increases in frequency with speed.

I will also check that the wheel is not rubbing tonight also.

Any ideas on the clunk I am feeling through the floor board durring down shifts? Like I said it seems to happen with down shifts where I am just coasting. If I am really using the breaks to slow down then there is nothing.... or is this just normal. Could be normal for all I know, this is my first Disco.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Hi Everyone

Turns out, at least so far, the noises were due to the wheel chaulk being a bit loose in the engine compartment and banging around in response to me hitting the gas/brakes, and the road conditions.... Thats a reliefe! Thanks for all the help!

Andy

Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Inspect and lube all your drive shaft grease fittings. Also check the fluid level in your swivels anyway just to make sure they are not low and about to cause you a problem.

"Is this swivel a component I would need to check as part of maintenance on an '03, or is this an early model thing? "
No, your Disco2 does not have swivel joints just CV joint incase inside a rubber boot behind each front wheel.

Quick Reply: Swivels and U-joints