Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of a head gasket leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of a head gasket leak ?

What are symptoms of a head gasket beginning to leak if already leaking?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Depends on how it is possibly blown. Could be coolant slightly leaking, loosing compression, milky oil, etc... what exactly are your symptoms? I'm in the process of replacing mine right now on a 2000 disco II with 154k I wasn't loosing compression or power and my oil was clean. I had a minuscule coolant leak coming out of the left rear (#8 cylinder) side. I blame dexcool but that is me personally.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
Or could be a noise that resembles an exhaust leak. White smoke from tail pipe. Etc

Old 11-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Yea that another symptom. The symptoms could be endless depending on what is making you think you have a leaking head gasket. I know if you are around Birmingham, al, cylinder head service will redo heads on our rovers for $95 per head and then they will clean the upper n lower intake for $25 if you have heads reworked by them, if not it's a bit more. The do top notch service and the turn around is usually 2-3 days. I also found out that since a lot of people down here are starting to restore them and rebuilt them, they rebuild the Thor and gems engines for between $2500 and $3000 and there are a few guys around here that have had them do theirs and love the work they do. I'm not trying to get them business or anything just making a recommendation for folks around my neck of the woods. It's hard to find a good dependable shop nowadays. They have redone the head on my work car (2006 Ford Focus zx4) and have had them do head work before on ford trucks. If anybody know a good place around bham, al to have the valve covers powder coated, let me know please

Old 11-24-2016, 11:59 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant123
What are symptoms of a head gasket beginning to leak if already leaking?
This is my symptom.

Attached Files
Old 11-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Pro Wrench

If I'm looking at that video correctly, you have removed the a/c compressor and power steering pump on the drivers side(left side looking from the interior). It looks to be a lower intake manifold gasket and not the head gasket itself judging by that stream. That will be where the coolant goes from the head into the intake. If that's the case, you can get away with just removing the intake and not having to replace the head gaskets. You will have to remove the valve covers. What year and how many miles do you have on it? Personally since you have to go that far in it, what's a little further to get the heads off and have them reworked so you know it will be all done properly. You can get a kit from lucky 8 for under $100 with all the gaskets (except throttle body heater). Somebody else might chime in by your head gaskets seat between the head and the block and the lower intake gasket it was covers the cam, lifters, pushrods, etc and seals between the intake and head and that it where you nice stream seems to be coming from. Worse case, you could have a cracked head or intake. Has anybody messed with the intake that you know of and are you getting a milky oil?

Old 11-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
If I'm looking at that video correctly, you have removed the a/c compressor and power steering pump on the drivers side(left side looking from the interior). It looks to be a lower intake manifold gasket and not the head gasket itself judging by that stream. That will be where the coolant goes from the head into the intake. If that's the case, you can get away with just removing the intake and not having to replace the head gaskets. You will have to remove the valve covers. What year and how many miles do you have on it? Personally since you have to go that far in it, what's a little further to get the heads off and have them reworked so you know it will be all done properly. You can get a kit from lucky 8 for under $100 with all the gaskets (except throttle body heater). Somebody else might chime in by your head gaskets seat between the head and the block and the lower intake gasket it was covers the cam, lifters, pushrods, etc and seals between the intake and head and that it where you nice stream seems to be coming from. Worse case, you could have a cracked head or intake. Has anybody messed with the intake that you know of and are you getting a milky oil?
i also forgot to add that if you don't have the rave manual, download it!!!! I'm sure there are links somewhere or send me your email and I can email it to you. I keep a copy on iBooks on my phone and all iPads. If you do have the manual, the intake remove for the lower gasket is listed on 30-2-10 repairs

Old 11-25-2016, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
i also forgot to add that if you don't have the rave manual, download it!!!! I'm sure there are links somewhere or send me your email and I can email it to you. I keep a copy on iBooks on my phone and all iPads. If you do have the manual, the intake remove for the lower gasket is listed on 30-2-10 repairs
Thanks. We replaced the head gasket already and we are in the process of finishing the entire installation. Just waiting for some bolts from Paul Grant that got misplaced along the way.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks. We replaced the head gasket already and we are in the process of finishing the entire installation. Just waiting for some bolts from Paul Grant that got misplaced along the way.
Can't view the video posted above, however, if it is the same one as you posted before...this was definitely a head gasket leak.

https://vimeo.com/190196254

Brian.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Time to deal with the head gaskets.
There is a mental block where as you "accept" it and start to take the engine apart.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76579732@N07/

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a head gasket leak ?