Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synth Oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:16 PM
|
Drifting
Default Synth Oil questions

I recently posted a question about reccomendations for the first oil change on my '04 Disco II with around 54k miles. Mobil 1 5w 40 TDT and Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 were the recommended oil and a Mobil 1 301 or Napa GOld (wix) 1515 filter. I still had a few lingering questions....

Since I have no idea what the previous owner used (normal oil or synth), should I perform the 60k mile engine flush before putting the above recommended oil in? I've heard somewhere down the line that changing from a regular oil to a snyth oil can cause some serious leaks. I have no idea what causes this, so for you tech guys...why is this? I plan on chipping away at the 60k service list of procedures here over Christmas break when time and money allows. I don't put too many miles on it through the week, so the reality is, 60k wont come up for a while...just trying to be proactive.

Question 2, In all the time I've performed the routine maintenance on all my vehicles, I've NEVER used synth. I have no idea why. I've always kept good maintenance records and never have had a problem with the good 'ol valvoline and STP oil filter. I understand the Rover is another animal, and due to my ignorance and lack of experience with Synth, How long do you go between oil changes with Synth? If my memory serves me right, I know I've heard its quite a bit longer than regular oil.

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:24 PM
Administrator

I used Castrol for years before giving into the synthetic oil thing and never looked back, the engine runs cooler and smoother with the up-graded oil.
Stay with any of the 2 mentioned filters or the K&N 3001, all of which are the better, larger filters available for our trucks.
If you want to stay with regular oil, change it every 3000 miles, 5000 with synthetic.

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:27 PM
Three Wheeling

You probably have sludge in your engine from using mineral oil. Switch to synthetic and change it as soon as it gets dirty. After a while you will notice your oil staying cleaner for longer periods. Don't bother with an engine flush, synthetic oil will flush all the sludge out eventually.

Old 12-18-2009 | 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else noticed the price of Mobile One and other synthetics falling lately?

Walmart has a 5 quart jug for $22. I recall it being closer to $30 a few years ago.

Old 12-18-2009 | 01:33 PM
TReK

You can either do a flush with a half can of seafoam. Idle for 30 minutes with the seafoam in. Or put in a quart of marvel mystery oil for 300 miles and then do your change. You can also use mmo up to 20% for a few oil change intervals to make sure things are cleaned out.

If you would like to try to extend your OCI beyond 5000 miles send out a sample for a used oil analysis with TBN this should tell you how much life you have left in the oil. They say these engines are hard on oil but I have not actually seen proof. They are flat tappet engines though so better be safe then sorry.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:36 PM
TReK

after you have done a few changes on your oil and you are changing oil after 5k miles that looks absolutely brand new you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You can either do a flush with a half can of seafoam. Idle for 30 minutes with the seafoam in. Or put in a quart of marvel mystery oil for 300 miles and then do your change. You can also use mmo up to 20% for a few oil change intervals to make sure things are cleaned out.

If you would like to try to extend your OCI beyond 5000 miles send out a sample for a used oil analysis with TBN this should tell you how much life you have left in the oil. They say these engines are hard on oil but I have not actually seen proof. They are flat tappet engines though so better be safe then sorry.

amsoil 10/40,,, read the back. desinged for use with flat tappets.

Old 12-19-2009 | 09:31 PM
Team Owner

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Read though that.
Using full syn change it every 5,000 miles, dino oil every 3,000.
Oil changes are cheap insurance.

Yes the engine may leak after you first put in full syn, but it will stop after awhile.
The engine seals will "weep" the old oil and once they are nice and full of the new oil they will stop leaking.

Pick a oil and filter brand that you can get easily and anywhere.
Amsoil and Royal Purple are both great oils but do you want to be ordering your oil on line everytime you need to change your oil?

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil....html#champion

As far as oil filters go, Wix (NAPA) is one of the best oil filters you can buy, and it's $5, Purolator is also one of the best, also $5.

10w-40 is a good weight for our engines and a good all around weight for most people.

Old 12-20-2009 | 06:06 PM
Three Wheeling

The local Advance Auto is carrying the Royal Purple line. I was surprised, as I hear this is a premium oil.

I use Mobil1, and have for years (back when there were only 3 grades). I've used it on Jeep, Mercedes, and Porsche. The Mercedes was supercharged, and the Porsche turbocharged. Both were driven hard, and used as daily drivers.

One of the Porsches had 226k miles on the original block when I sold it.

Old 12-20-2009 | 07:39 PM
TReK

Royal purple is good but IMO you get a better value with Mobil 1 or Rotella. If you are a Mobil 1 guy get the 5w40 TDT from Advanced when it is on sale.

Quick Reply: Synth Oil questions