Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs regular gear oil and ......

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually Phil, if you read pages 26 and 27 in the D2 service manual you will find all fluids must be changed every 30,000 miles, don' t want to be giving out false information.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm looking at the service manual right now Mike, there is no service interval except for the trans filter to be changed, under warranty, at 30,000 miles by the dealer for free and then it is "lifetime" after that.
Nothing else, other than engine coolant, brake fluid and trans fluid and engine oil needs to be changed per LR.
I am NOT saying that I agree with that, I am just saying that is what LR says.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Phil,
I am not going to argue with you over something you do not have full information on.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrong Approach: If you use, say Valvoline gear oil it'd cost $15-$20 to replace. If you never replace it and you have to buy one differential in 10 years and get a used one for like $100 you save a couple bucks and a bunch on labor/time on 15 fluid changes. Multiply that by two and the benefits become clear.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Phil,
I am not going to argue with you over something you do not have full information on.
I am NOT arguing with you Mike.
Can you copy and paste the page for me to see?
I have searched the entire RAVE and it is not in there.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrandonS
Wrong Approach: If you use, say Valvoline gear oil it'd cost $15-$20 to replace. If you never replace it and you have to buy one differential in 10 years and get a used one for like $100 you save a couple bucks and a bunch on labor/time on 15 fluid changes. Multiply that by two and the benefits become clear.
Did I say I agreed with it?
Full syn gear oil will last at least 100,000 miles, so if it came with full syn from the factory, it would not need to be changed until the 100k mark.
Again, not saying I agree with that, I'm just saying...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh that wasn't a dig at you; just a left field comment. I know where you are coming from. I was searching high and low for the recommended service interval for the differentials (front, center, and back) so I could service them accordingly and could not find it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

I use cheap gear lube and check it after I wade for water ingress.
If there is water I change it, if not I dont worry about it.
I made the mistake when I first got my truck to use full syn gear oil, I went wading, got water in the diffs, drained out $100 of gear oil two weeks after putting it in.
I change it every two years now, I never get water in it any more as I fixed the leak, but I cannot see the benefit of spending that much money on gear oil.
I literally went page by page through the whole RAVE manual, including the DII NAS owners manual and it says nothing about gear oil, power steering, etc.
It tells you how to change the gear oil and top off the power steering, but no service interval.
The dealer will tell you that you need to change it every "X" miles because they make money off of services.
I do agree that it needs to be changed at regular intervals, but what those are I do not know and would like to see so that I can have that knowledge too because I think it would be good to know.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I use cheap gear lube and check it after I wade for water ingress.
If there is water I change it, if not I dont worry about it.
I made the mistake when I first got my truck to use full syn gear oil, I went wading, got water in the diffs, drained out $100 of gear oil two weeks after putting it in.
I change it every two years now, I never get water in it any more as I fixed the leak, but I cannot see the benefit of spending that much money on gear oil.
I literally went page by page through the whole RAVE manual, including the DII NAS owners manual and it says nothing about gear oil, power steering, etc.
It tells you how to change the gear oil and top off the power steering, but no service interval.
The dealer will tell you that you need to change it every "X" miles because they make money off of services.
I do agree that it needs to be changed at regular intervals, but what those are I do not know and would like to see so that I can have that knowledge too because I think it would be good to know.
Honestly the reason I change the synthetic is because I can do it so cheaply. If I was paying customer prices it would be a different story.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am NOT arguing with you Mike.
Can you copy and paste the page for me to see?
I have searched the entire RAVE and it is not in there.
Phil, if you do not have accurate information or recomondations, saying nothing is better then being wrong.
Yes, you are arguing, and for those new people on this site looking for correct information, you are misleading them.
Here is a link to the service schedules , by Rover,
http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D2_03-04.pdf

From now on, make sure of your replies and statements so I don't have to correct you again.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs regular gear oil and ......