Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail / Dash Light Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail / Dash Light Problems???

I am new to the forum but have had my Discovery for about a year. I can turn wrenches but I'm not great with electrical problems.

I have a 95 Disco with about 155,000 miles.

The problem that I am running into is with the dash and tail lights. When my lighting switch is in the first postion, my dash lights work and my tail lights work. However, when I switch to the second position, the headlights come on but my tail lights and dash lights go out. If I turn all the way to position two and ease it back to just between the positions, all lights will work as long as you don't touch the stalk as it doesn't really want to stay in between the two positions.

I have taken the switch apart and have cleaned all of the contacts. Everything inside seems to be OK and working properly. All of the fuses throughout the car all check out.

Also, as I was reassembling it today, the radio volume dropped to nearly zero. I would assume that this is just a loose harness that I accidentally moved when I was working on it.

If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it. It sucks trying to drive only during daylight ours.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Headlight switch / stalk is dying / dead imo.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
6th Gear

Do you think that there is a chance that i could make a jumper so that when I switch to position one, all lights come on. I think that I could do it, I'm just not sure if it would work.

I am trying to fix as cheap as possible (slow Jan and Feb for my business.)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
6th Gear

Just FYI for anyone reading this thread:

I have fixed the problem w/ the head / tail / dash lights. I had to reclean to contact points with contact cleaner and a screwdriver. After I reached new metal, I put it back together and everything worked fine. Of course, now my reverse light and my stereo aren't working right. But, I guess that you can't have it all.