Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail door check strap removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tail door check strap removal

As mentioned in other posts, I've been reupholstering my headliner and I'm just about ready to reinstall. But I'm wondering if it'd go more smoothly if I could fully open the tail door. Sitting merely at 90-degrees, it stands proud of the opening and made pulling the headliner out kinda difficult.

If I remove the strap, will I be able to fold the door all the way, or close to, 180-degrees?

Ill-advised?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Dunno about you, but I can just lift my check strap off the post in the truck body and that allows me to open the door much further. I never had to do it any time I took the headliner out though.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Dunno about you, but I can just lift my check strap off the post in the truck body and that allows me to open the door much further. I never had to do it any time I took the headliner out though.
Huh, I didn't try that, but it seemed pretty obvious that the spring clip is holding it down. Do you not have a spring clip? Either way sounds like removing it isn't a big deal. But does it actually allow the door to open further, or do the hinges not allow it, anyway? Thanks!

Yeah, of all the headliner threads I've read, I've never seen anyone complain about the tail door or contemplate releasing it. But as we were removing the board, it seemed like if the door were out of my way, I wouldn't have had to finagle it quite so much. Figured I'd try to make reinstallation as easy as possible.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Mine doesn't have any clip on it. It sits slightly under the door seal rubber so it never comes off inadvertently.
Taking it off does allow the door to open wider (as I said) but not to a full 180. Maybe like 120 degrees. I wouldn't do it if it was at all windy though, since you're then relying on the hinge structures to stop it from bending all the way back.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Mine doesn't have any clip on it. It sits slightly under the door seal rubber so it never comes off inadvertently.
Taking it off does allow the door to open wider (as I said) but not to a full 180. Maybe like 120 degrees. I wouldn't do it if it was at all windy though, since you're then relying on the hinge structures to stop it from bending all the way back.
Gotcha. Yeah sounds like there's no snap ring (I mistakenly called it a spring clip earlier) on yours. Mine has one and I see it in the RAVE as well.

120 would be plenty I think. Even if it doesn't make getting the headliner back in easier, I can think of a handful of times that I wished I could open the door more. Loading furniture, etc. So a handy thing to have in my back pocket.

Avoiding windy days: Good advice...thanks!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Opening it beyond a point will cause a rain of tail light plastic pieces onto the floor.

Discard the snap ring and drill the stem across above the washer. Install a cotter pin.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Externet
Opening it beyond a point will cause a rain of tail light plastic pieces onto the floor.

Discard the snap ring and drill the stem across above the washer. Install a cotter pin.
Ha indeed. After I released the strap, I opened the door very slowly and realized the spare tire hitting the tail light was going to stop it from going much further. Rested it gently on there. It was only disconnected for the 5 min it took us to get the headliner back in.

I might just do the cotter pin idea. That snap ring really didn't want to go back to its original size. Probably only a matter of time before it fails. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niceflipflop
Ha indeed. After I released the strap, I opened the door very slowly and realized the spare tire hitting the tail light was going to stop it from going much further. Rested it gently on there. It was only disconnected for the 5 min it took us to get the headliner back in.

I might just do the cotter pin idea. That snap ring really didn't want to go back to its original size. Probably only a matter of time before it fails. Thanks!
My pin was totally rusted when I bought it.. Ended up drilling through it and put a cotter pin in. Haven't had any issues.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:43 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. But I still can't tell how to release the strap from the post (where it attaches to the truck body). I want to do that so I can replace the strap altogether. Any insights on how it releases from the post?

Old 06-09-2021, 06:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

If you have the clip off you can just pry the strap up with a screwdriver if it's stuck. Should lift straight off. Maybe some penetrating fluid if it's especially rusty.

Quick Reply: Tail door check strap removal