Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail door check strap removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 07:39 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Does the clip itself just pry off? My question really is how do I remove the clip so I can slide the strap off?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

The C clip rides in a groove on the post. You slide it off the the side. You may want to spin it so that the opening is towards you, and it will slide off the post. Then lift the strap off the post.

The clip isn't really necessary. On my 03 I just laid a large washer on top of the strap, which hangs up on one side of the groove or the other and prevents the strap from lifting up by itself. Even that is questionable, since as mollusc pointed out, the strap kinda rides under the gasket and is held down that way too. Mine would pop off once in a blue moon but after putting the washer on there it's never come off on its own. I think having the track on the bottom of the door lubricated to prevent strain and binding is more important than clips, as that's usually what causes any problems back there.

Edit: I just went and looked at my 04 and it turns out I misspoke above. It's not a C clip, it's a snap ring. I will say that I'm not 100% positive what's OE but I believe it's a snap ring. The concept is the same but snap rings are a little more finicky. Google snap ring pliers if you're not clear on how they work. I think if I were insistent on having a clip I would replace the snap ring with a C clip.

Last edited by ahab; 06-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

To everyone saying the clip isn't necessary, I'd disagree. If it gets out of your care in the wrong moment... well it can go to **** quickly. Here's a story about a brand new 2003 Vienna Green Disco with a missing circlip on that little pin:

-- Ex wife took 2003 Disco to airport for business trip, in 2004 or so.
-- Valet parked, they detailed the car while she was travelling (not my choice, she did it every time)
-- Apparently they drove the Disco around with the tail door open.
-- Bent hinges, Door would not shut.
-- Filed claim with valet company. 3 months later got it resolved.
-- In meantime took trip to beach where a Cat 1 hurricane hit, the rear door leaked at the top very badly, and the entire floor of the entire car was soaked. From back to front.
-- Finally dealer bodyshop replaced hinges, dealer replaced all carpet with new carpet gratis / under the insurance claim ripping out the entire interior in the process.
-- And while Disco was in paint shop (FOR HINGES!), a delivery truck sideswiped the passenger front. Everyone very apologetic.
-- Dealer replaced passengers front fender & entire front bumper, repainted scratched front door, blended rear door or rear quarter panel can't recall
-- 6 mos later under warranty had the wheel arch trims replaced from the usual fading / pitting /plastic issue
-- When dealer was removing wheel arch trims paint flaked off on both front fender and rear door and rear quarter
-- So entire side of car was painted again at dealer bodyshop at no cost. This time the color match was not as good and it quite honestly looked like they painted it a different green, not Vienna. It was a disaster.
-- They got overspray all over the fuel cap/door and door handles

I never liked this car after any of this...

All because of that little circlip which I guess was not on our D2 from new.

And PS I bet if you go to Discoweb archives, you can see my ranting and raving about this at the time.

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-11-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I am reviving this because nobody EVER MENTIONS WHERE TO GET THE CLIP!!!!!!!!

I am dealing with 2 of my discoverys that need this part. Anyone know what the part number is or where to go to get the part? Im not wanting to drill becasue both the studs are fine in my Rovers.

Thanks Guys

Old 12-20-2022, 04:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have a pic of their 100% original setup? Mine cracks when opening and looks like it’s been messed with half a dozen times.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

On the left is the factory setup, on the right is what I use on my DD. So far the thinner washer has jammed against the groove in the post to keep the strap in place. The circlip is a standard fastener you can get at any supplier like McMaster-Carr. It has an OD of 12.5mm, the pin is 10mm so I would assume these will work.

https://www.mcmaster.com/98541A118/ - a pack of 100 is $8.61

https://www.mcmaster.com/90967A160/ - a pack of 5 in stainless is $5.30

Old 12-20-2022, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

I drilled a hole thru mine and bent a nail from a cable clip in it.
Name:  x1YJpxP.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  3.26 MB

The groove was pretty much missing so the clip wouldnt work, and I had an accident with my trailer so it ripped the strap off..
Did not close the rear door properly and driving and turning at work with it, the door opened and apparently the trailer jack got in between and bent the door over the straps capabilities.
Name:  T7D0zCI.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  3.10 MB

Old 12-20-2022, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

ohhh..that sucks....

If you need another idea for retaining the arm to the shaft, try 'STARLOCK' or 'speed lock' washers or 'pushnuts'...they are usually not very thick, but easy enough to replace if needed. Just have to find the right size....

They look like this, or a variation of this:

The following users liked this post:
Dervish (12-21-2022)