Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light downgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tail light downgrade

I've got the 03-04 lights now, picked up a set of the 99-02 because I really like the all red look better than the huge yellow blinker and I read somewhere they were plug and play. Well they are not. At least they won't just plug right in. It looks like I'm going to have to cut and splice some wires to make them work. Anyone ever had any luck with this?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I certainly wouldn't call the 99-02 tail lights a downgrade! I've honestly never owned a 99-02 that had tail lights full of water or one that ever did fill up with water vs the 03-04 tail lights which I rarely ever see one without black looking goo floating around inside of them.

You're gonna have to do the opposite of 99-02 to 03-04 conversion as far as the wiring is concerned.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess downgrade wasn't the right term as I definitely agree with you about the issues with the 03-04 lights. Luckily there is nothing wrong with mine I just really like the all red look. Guess I'll check into the wiring process for the 02 going to the 03-04. I'm trying to leave the reverse lights and fogs the way they are on the rear bumper. My plan is to make the small reverse light on the 99-02 lights my blinker by adding an amber bulb and leaving the other lights alone.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yeah sounds like a plan. Just gotta get to cutting and splicing. I honestly prefer the all red lights as well, but I do like the 03-04 bumper lights. I just use an amber bulb for my turn signal in the bumper and Zevo 1156R in the rear fogs.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Retrofit is the word you're looking for.

I don't know off hand what the differences are, but if you could grab the correct wiring harness for the 99-02 lights then the wiring should be easy. You'll just have to switch the bulb plugs to the ones that will fit those lights. If you can't find them locally, I'm sure Abran would have a set.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you figure out how to make it work?

Originally Posted by shady milkman
I guess downgrade wasn't the right term as I definitely agree with you about the issues with the 03-04 lights. Luckily there is nothing wrong with mine I just really like the all red look. Guess I'll check into the wiring process for the 02 going to the 03-04. I'm trying to leave the reverse lights and fogs the way they are on the rear bumper. My plan is to make the small reverse light on the 99-02 lights my blinker by adding an amber bulb and leaving the other lights alone.
Trying to do the same. I have the wire and plug from the ‘02 I tried matching the wires up. I plugged the passenger side in on the drivers side and it seemed to work perfect, realize I plugged in the wrong side, then set up for correct side and the lights blink like a cop car.
The clear turn signal lights are constant the brake lights work as they should the top two small bulbs go hey wire when turned on.

Assuming I need to switch two colors of lights to correct.
Any advice? Which color wires did you match up?

Old 04-13-2020, 05:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthxSW
Trying to do the same. I have the wire and plug from the ‘02 I tried matching the wires up. I plugged the passenger side in on the drivers side and it seemed to work perfect, realize I plugged in the wrong side, then set up for correct side and the lights blink like a cop car.
The clear turn signal lights are constant the brake lights work as they should the top two small bulbs go hey wire when turned on.

Assuming I need to switch two colors of lights to correct.
Any advice? Which color wires did you match up?

Got it figured out. I had flipped the end connectors when wiring them in, works fine now.