Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my 2001 Disco 2 into machanic tomorrow for a host of issues.. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds great SDF.. especially the part with the Beer.. only problem I have is, no power steering and stalling issues.. the mechanic told me today that he did the knock sensor and as far as the pwr steering pump goes, he said it appears some metal flake got into it and i need a new one along with resevoir.. he also said "hopefully it didnt get into the entire sytem but it doesnt appear so" The only reason I believe him is because he is the second mechanic to tell me this.. Lighter news: I found a guy parting out the same truck.. he told me 40 bucks for the pump "provided its not to much of a PITA to take out".. we compared notes, he said he doesnt have the ACE as well.. I read one of the "how to's" on here and sent him over a brief description how somebody else got out.. with and without removing fan.. is there any precautions i should tell him about?? contaminants etc?? he seemed very mechanically in tune with the vehicle and said he was one for DSNY..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rimasco
as far as the pwr steering pump goes, he said it appears some metal flake got into it and i need a new one along with resevoir.. he also said "hopefully it didnt get into the entire sytem but it doesnt appear so" The only reason I believe him is because he is the second mechanic to tell me this..
Hmm... needs a reservoir due to a metal flake in the system? That seems kind of odd to me. If there are worries about contaminated fluid though, you might as well do a good flush of the system now before putting a new pump on.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy a big jar of vaseline. Lol

Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Mudding

like i was saying earlier, 2 different mechanics said the pump was done and it always had some kind of leak from when i purchased 3 months ago.. S/DF I believe he said "metal flakes" and he did say he was going to flush as well ..40 bucks for a used pump and reservoir is far from an a$$ reaming so hold on to your tub of vaseline for now sickws6..ill give you a running total from soup to nuts.. so far im in 53 for knock sensor + 40 for install.. waiting on 40 buck pump and labor quote.. I think thats a far cry from the people on here that I seen get quoted 750 to 1700 for pump and install alone.. i got this truck at almost half its book so i knew from the get that that margin was gonna close some.. thank you again and I will keep you posted..

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Mudding

with new years and everything i finally got the pump to the mechanic.. he said he has been bleeding the system trying to get all the air out.. I reminded him that the bubling/ percolating effect he might be talking about is normal for this truck.. any suggestions? thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Mudding

uhh wheres that jar of Vaseline??

Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by rimasco
with new years and everything i finally got the pump to the mechanic.. he said he has been bleeding the system trying to get all the air out.. I reminded him that the bubling/ percolating effect he might be talking about is normal for this truck.. any suggestions? thanks
What bubbling are you talking about?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Mudding

"the steering fluid resvoir bubbling" I seen on one of the threads here.. one of the senior members said "it was comon and not to watch to hard"??

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I am glad to here that you got reasonable prices for your fix! That is a good thing!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, I never heard that one. I figure any air in the system means a leak. I get some when very cold from the gasket by the high pressure line and makes the system groan. Goes away quick as soon as the gasket or o ring heats up.

Quick Reply: Taking my 2001 Disco 2 into machanic tomorrow for a host of issues.. any suggestions?