Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tale of two Disco IIs (purchase advice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tale of two Disco IIs (purchase advice)

Newb here looking for a little purchasing advice from the experts. I'm considering purchasing a used Discovery, and have two interesting candidates in mind. They are very similar, and yet very different in one way.

SAME:
  • Both are at a dealer (different dealers)
  • Both are 2002 models
  • Both are Oslo blue with tan leather
  • Both in SE trim
  • Both in better than average condition, both exterior and interior
  • Tires are identical, even to the point of being worn. Estimate about 75% tread left on both

Really, they could be twins, except for:

DIFFERENT

• Disco #1 - 165,000 miles, BUT both head gaskets were done at 145,000
  • Disco #2 - 75,000 miles, no service records at all.
  • Disco #1 - listed at $4500, I could probably negotiate down to close to $4000
  • Disco #2 - listed at $5450, negotiate down to close to $5000

In the end, would you pay $1000 difference for the lower miles? I know that should be an easy yes answer, but Disco #1 having had the heads recently done throws the equation a little.

Thoughts??

Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Low mileage is good, but which ever one you decide on, take it to another Rover shop and pay for a pre-purchase inspection so you know what you are buying.
By the way, have you ever owned a 4 wheeler before, what do you plan to do with it and how mechanical are you?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

normally my instinct would be to go with the lower mileage, but this is a LR without any service record it a hell of a gamble, if not fairly mechanical it could be a costly mistake.

Why did the other one have head gasket replaced and how many times did it over heat before the put head gaskets in it? a day or a month?

pre-purchase inspection is the only way

Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
8th Gear

I would do a Pre-purchase inspection on either one, so that's a given. The repair receipt that the dealer has just shows head gasket replacement, does not show reason/symptoms, so no way of knowing if/how bad it overheated.

As for my 4WD/mechanical experience, I would say better than average, but not an expert in all things.

I've never owned a Land Rover before, but have had 4 different 4WD Jeeps (2 CJ-5s, a Wrangler, and a 98 Grand Cherokee) and have done things like replaced driveshaft, axles, transfer cases, etc. Just finished replacing the Viscous Coupling in my Grand Cherokee transfer case. As for overall mechanical ability, I've owned multiple Fiats and a few Triumphs over the years, and kept them all running, so that says something.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, when you find one, send us some pictures. Planning on any sort of modifications?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
8th Gear

Well, this 1s one of the two I'm currently considering -->2002 Land Rover Discovery $5,485 - ARMotorsports.net - Lawrenceville, GA 30046 Dealer

No really looking for any major modifications, it will be a DD for the most part, with the occasional forest road. My heavy duty off-road wheeling days are behind me. I beat the heck out of two CJ-5s back in the day.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you already decided you're GOING to get a Disco? There are a lot better choices out there for reliability, gas mileage and can match the off-road abilities. If you just can't imagine driving anything else, welcome to the nut house! Assuming the inspections didn't turn up anything definitive, I'd go with whichever one had the HGs replaced last.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if that is the case; I would go with the one that has not been opened before.
At least that way your not going to find stripped and missing bolts and half *** repairs when you do open it, and you will.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
8th Gear

Well, no, I'm not ABSOLUTELY getting a Disco, no matter what. But, if I'm going to replace my current gas guzzling, but extremely capable SUV with something newer/nicer, and maybe a little more upscale, the Disco II seems like it might fit the bill. It's not like my current ride isn't itself a liitle bit of a money pit. It's a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. The 5.9 indicates a 5.9 liter V8. That's a 360ci engine that generates 245 HP and gets about 14 mpg. Full-time 4WD system.

Grand Cherokees of this vintage are known for:
  • leaking various fluids
  • electrical gremlins
  • horrible mpg
  • requiring constant tinkering
  • having real off-road capability
  • being fairly luxurious
  • having owners who alternate between hating them and loving them

Sounds like a lot of what I read on this forum, right?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Never owned a ZJ, but I've owned an XJ (LOVED it!) and TJ (HATED it!)...both 4.0s & neither was anywhere close to the level of mechanical ownership of the Rover. But I was thinking more along the lines of a 4Runner or FJ Cruiser but I don't know what your wants/needs/budget are or what you'll use it for. Most threads on this subject summarize this way: if you can imagine yourself owning anything else, don't buy one. Having said that, I love mine and there are precious few rigs I would be as happy with (maybe 73-77 Bronco???).

Quick Reply: A tale of two Disco IIs (purchase advice)