Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tale of two Disco IIs (purchase advice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
if that is the case; I would go with the one that has not been opened before.
At least that way your not going to find stripped and missing bolts and half *** repairs when you do open it, and you will.
This.

After seeing the hack job done by whomever previously worked on my 04 (HGs upside down, radiator & lights mounted with zip ties), my opinion of mechanics work quality took a dive.

If you want something done right etc...

Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the two LR Discoverys that were for sale when I started this thread are no longer in the running. One was sold before I had a chance to test drive it, and the other one just seemed a little sketchy.

So, I've moved on, still shopping. I'm going to look at a Disco this week that needs a little cosmetic/accessory work. It needs two door lock actuators, and the headliner is sagging in spots.

But now I have a question. It has 151K on it, but the heads were done at 135K. So, assuming the work was done right, how long is this fix good for? I guess my question is, once the heads are done once, is it still a weak spot? Was this just a factory installed weakness, or are the aftermarket head gaskets just as prone to failure? The heads were done at a respected independent LR shop, so I'm hoping they did good work.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I caution anyone looking to buy a D2 to get a oil pressure test and /or a compression test. I do not care how many miles or records or no records. These are cheap to buy and expensive to fix. They all have various issues from sensor failures, 3amigo issues, ABS issues, slipped sleeve issues, oil pump gear failure issues, ps pump leaks/ issues, Transfer Case leaks, motor leaks rms, head gaskets, etc....I have spent a lot to make my 83k mile 2003 right, including replacement of most of the things mentioned as well as a new rebuilt motor. Do not take this lightly, I really like my D2 but it has been one of the more expensive vehicles to repair from buying used...2003 83k miles and not many records. There is a reason why they are so cheap on the used market. Buyer beware and get a expert LR person to check it out for you.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM
8th Gear

I appreciate everyone who has posted advice so far. I also appreciate the honesty in that many of you are putting a lot of cautions and warnings into your posts. Usually a message board focused on one brand will have people who say "Of course, buy it, it's a (fill in the brand name)", so I appreciate the cautions.

I certainly know that Disco IIs have their quirks. I'm not unprepared for that. Cars I owned in the past include 5 Fiats (Spiders and X1/9s), a Triumph TR8, 4 Jeeps, 4 VWs, 2 Porsches, and oddest of all, a Lancia.

Not dissuaded yet. I'll do a compression check myself, I have a reliable gauge. If one of my prospects passes my minimums (listed below), I'll have it inspected by a LR shop.

Minimum I'm looking for:
  • Less than 100K, or less than 40K since head gaskets were done.
  • SE trim level
  • at least some, if not most service records
  • 2000 model or newer, probably up to 2003 to keep it in budget.
  • extra points for clean, mint interior and exterior
Things I don't mind doing:
  • I can replace headliner, I know it's a common fail
  • replacing/repairing things like door locks, audio, etc.
  • tires, I am pretty picky on tires, so I'd likely want to do this anyway.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the only down side I see on you wish list is the years, most 01,02 & 03, will not have a CDL which will mean replacing the transfer case.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
the only down side I see on you wish list is the years, most 01,02 & 03, will not have a CDL which will mean replacing the transfer case.
Interesting, did not know that. Given my likely use of the DII, not sure it's a huge issue, but wouldbe nice to have. One of the current prospects I'm looking at is a 2000, so it would be good to go, CDL wise, right?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Baja

it should be ready to go, unless someone has swapped it out once already.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Useless fact: Fiats were wonderfully reliable everywhere else in the world except the US. Only difference was they contracted GM to do their warranty work/maintenance (instead of setting up their own network), who sucked at repairing italian cars.

Good luck on your hunt. The greatest thing you can do is not be in a hurry, so hopefully you have that luxury. I've got $24K into the 04 I bought last year (60K mi SE7, oil pump, lifters, prop shaft, new GPR block, shocks...). It is now in the kind of shape where I consider it reliable, so long as I keep up with scheduled maintenance. So it can be done, just don't be naive about the purchase.

On a side note, for the most part it's an absolute joy to work on. Although it's not the smartest engineered vehicle, nothing has been very complex thus far.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Baja

Fix It Again Tony

Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

True fact: Out of all the oddball vehicles I've owned, the only ones to never leave me stranded were the Fiats. One in particular I drove as a daily driver for 6 years, about 110K miles. Had a few "limp-home" incidents, but not once did she see the back of a tow truck.

Kinda funny to be poking fun at Fiats with some of the previous posts warning me against a Disco II.

Actually I think there may be a lot of similarities. Both are not tolerant of owners that aren't fanatical about maintenance. Both require a few instances of re-engineering. Both attract kind of oddball owners!

Quick Reply: A tale of two Disco IIs (purchase advice)