Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tansmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tansmission rebuild

I was hoping to see if a could find some info or a step by step PDF on how to rebuild the disco 2 automatic transmission. I tried using the rave PDF and couldn't find any thing in it. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right stop. Any advice on how to rebuild them please let me know.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Unless you have a lot of experence rebuilding tranny a ZF is not the one you want to learn on. used ones can be had for a less than $500, a complete rebuild kit will probably run you $300.00.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Agreed - here's a photo layout on a ZF rebuild, so you would know what you are up against. And the u-pull-da-partz salvage yard near me gets $119 for a tranny, plus $15 core, and gives a 6 month warranty, parts vultures rejoice. Most Discos are in the salvage yard from wreck or head gaskets....

see Chris Cowdery Global Presence

and a BMW manual on same family of transmission

http://smithies.co.nz/land_rover/ZF_...n_overhaul.pdf

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Overlanding

I've torn into soome old Chevy th350 and one or two 700r4 and a jeep ax15 Manual. Thanks for the info. The one site didn't make it look to difficult. If anyone know where the best site to get a master kit. Please let me know. The whole reason why I'm doing this is when I bought my disco 2 the owner told me that they drove t around daily for a month or so with a bad prop shaft and when I got to servicing it. It was three quarts low on trans fluid. Now every few days it slips a little and I wanna get to it before I damage it anymore.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a link to one, I have never bought from them. ZF4HP22, ZF4HP24 ZF RWD / AWD trans Transmission Parts Catalog

Here is a exploded view of the tranny - it has an amazing number of parts....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ZF4HP22 exploded.pdf (213.1 KB, 1091 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Overlanding
Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory ZF manual is the best available. It was $114 when I purchased mine in 1987. You are wasting your time thinking about rebuilding yours. I was a transmission builder for 14 years. The ZF is a far cry from the units you listed, and EVERYTHING is critical. Unless you plan to spend another couple hundred on a torque converter you will just be dumping all the left over crap that is stuck in the converter right into your fresh rebuild. Good luck if you decide to gamble.

The best kits are available through Transtar. The problem you will have is the clutch clearances will all be off using aftermarket frictions and steels, and that is extremely important to the calibration of the unit. It will shift like crap and may cause damage. If you venture into the valve body and let the orifice disks fall out you are pretty much screwed as far as ever getting it working properly.

If you fill up the one you have now how does it run? If it's okay when the fluid is full find and fix the leak and drive it.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 03-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Overlanding

The tranny runs. But It slips maybe one or twice a week and the range selector won't go down to first or second.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read on the ZF site that this transmission was fitted on many other vehicles. Does it make sense to reuse another kind of vehicle's transmission with the appropriate bell housing, tail cone, fittings and such instead of the exact Disco unit ?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. The unit was introduced in 1984ish. The rest of the auto industry had already implemented electronic control to some extent in the versions they used before the Disco was on the market here. Land Rover stayed with the fully hydraulic controlled unit.

The orifice disks are different for each application, they calibrate the unit to the needs of the vehicle. I don't see this ending well.

Why would you go to all the trouble of hashing together the parts to make it work any way? You can buy a good used unit and be done with it with far less aggravation.

If you were to cobble together a mutt to install you must be sure the spacing is correct for the converter. If not you will destroy the converter, pump, and your day.

Quick Reply: Tansmission rebuild