Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping Noise After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tapping Noise After Oil Change

Hey Guys,
I needed a new Battery for my 03 Disco II with 70K on it....your recommendations seem to point me towards Sears and their Platinum Batt....OK.
Had them perform an oil change too while I was there..afterwards, something was bugging me...they stated that the engine required 7 Qts. Last night I checked the manual and it states 6.1 Qts...what the heck !...also says OVER-SERVICING may cause damage to the engine. Called Sears and brought it back...before I started up this morning, I checked the oil level cold...it was about 4 inches ABOVE the Max level line....drove it slowly to Sears...they drained and re-serviced the engine, but after the first servicing, I have a tapping noise on the right hand side of the engine....appears once the engine is warm and mostly at idle...increases slightly with more gas..then gone until back at idle....could this have been caused by their over-servicing??? I also discovered many oil drips on the garage floor this morning before leaving. If the noise is caused by Sears....what recourse do I have....They said that they will pay the dealer's diagnostic fee. The manager says it has nothing to do with the engine...she said her mechanics said it was "from the lifters, so not engine related, more a suspension thing"....What the heck...she is the Manager of the Auto Center LOL....Anyways, anybody know of a GREAT LR mechanic in CT....I've been screwed by Milford LR previously so not going there....any suggestions?...even a good backyard expert in LR.... Thanks so much !

Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

She knows nothing about engines apparently, lifters are INSIDE the engine.
Lifter noise with these engines can be caused by the wrong weight of motor oil, check your invoice, I bet they used 5w-30 conventional motor oil.
That is the wrong oil for these engines, it is to thin.
Over filling the engine (depending on how much over full) will just cause leaks and nothing else will be harmed.
You need to use a 10w-40 or a 15w-40 for the summer, 5w-40 or 10w-40 for the winter.
Its coming onto summer, so use the 15w-40 and I bet your lifter noise goes away.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing showing on Invoice...so called...they said it is probably 5-30w since LR suggest 3 different weights....they said that i can bring it back for the third time to change oil but i'm busy this week...taking a rental car to be sure...LOL Thanks for your reply though !!!

Last edited by Jetswede; 03-20-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just change your oil yourself and get it done right.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other then tires, dont ever let sears work on your car... i have nothing against them, but hordes of personal, and professinal experiences... oh wait, maybe i do now.

my brothers first car, honda prelude, they put the wrong filter on it, worked its way loose, oil burst out on the highway ride home, oil pressure light came on, and within seconds motor siezed. they bought a replacement motor for him... but still.

my trans am, used to eat oil abit (about a quart and a half between changes) from heads cam, etc... so i always bought 2 extra quarts of mobile 1 during the change to have in the trunk for top offs. well, one time they put all the quarts in the motor. she barely ran, smoked and made noise. i was lucky to catch it quick, had i gunned it which is the normal "engine not cooperating" technique (lol) i could have done some serious damage. also with my car, at another location, i found they cut the wire to my alarm siren because they where tired of disarming it (it auto armed on the lift after 1 minute, but they kept one of the doors open). also on my car, another sears for an alignment, the steering wheel was off a good hour (11 oclock was stright on down the road!) and when i brought it back after work (maybe 3 hours?) they said they werent responsible because "who knows how many potholes i hit while i was gone". yea.

one of thier customer cars, the tech replaced the trans filter, forgot to fill it with trans fluid after putting it back together, bought the lady a new trans after arguing that it was coincidence the the trans broke after just a fluid/filter change... only after the tech confessed that he "might have forgot".

Last edited by grandkodiak; 03-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah Sears sucks they've got some shady people.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Yeah Sears sucks they've got some shady people.
Any of the "express" type places are all the same crap. Minimum wage "techs" paid on speed and unnecessary up sell products. I mean really... how else can you profit from doing $20 oil changes all day?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want to take care of your engine, be a lot more proactive, do your own oil changes or at least make sure they use only the oil and oil filter you want or you will have problems.