Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC light flashed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TC light flashed?

Hello all,

I was making a right turn this morning and a TC light turned on and off after about 5 seconds. It never came back on, but was wondering if there is anything I need to worry about? This never happened before.

Thanks,
Leo

Old 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Surely it is a loose or wet connection on the transfer case sensor. I can't tell what model you have (I'm on my phone now) . I had to engage mine to test a driveshaft problem a couple of weeks ago, manually, and the light had a mind of its own for a few seconds after engaging and after disengaging. I figured it was the sensor right behind the back of the front driveshaft.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the "TC" is traction control?

Steve

Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, the TC light turns on when traction control engages. Did the light really remain on for a full 5 seconds, or the duration of the turn? Mine has kicked on a few times making a turn onto a certain road where the roadway is at a different height from the road I am turning from. If one tire is turning a certain percentage faster than the opposing tire, TC will engage. For me, the bump in the turn is enough to sometimes do it.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

And me. There is a certain bump in my drive way that sometimes sets it off. Hit at the right angle.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by BackInA88
I believe the "TC" is traction control?

Steve

Jeez... I was on the CDL... My mind is mush. Sorry.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-20-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The TC light flashes up when it is called upon due to road surface conditions. As you may already know it is part of the overall ABS system. Mine kicks in sometimes when turning on the gravel strewn roads around here but as soon as the turn is completed or the TC is not required any longer the light extinguishes.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Camel Trophy

My mind is sort of un mushed now.

If you weren't on gravel, hitting a bump, or spinning a tire when it happened I would be worried. The traction control system actually counters our limited slip diffs by selectively activating the ABS so the tire with no traction (but all of the power) will give up some of its power to the stalled, slow, slipping tire. If I remember correctly, it was considered by Land Rover to be a good replacement for a locking CDL and locking diffs for typical on road situations. I know this because I have a Ford that has this issue and sometimes as I am stopping one tire will start with the ABS and pull me that direction. It is disconcerting and dangerous. The problem with the Ford is a bad ABS sensor... the ABS sensors also tell the computer how fast the tires are spinning, relative to each other, on our trucks, then it will apply the brake if necessary, and trick the diff into sending power where it is needed. So if you are just ho humming down the road and your ABS kicks in (and there are threads on this forum about that), you can have a very bad day.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the right turn is sort of an uphill uneven pavement surface. It stayed on about 3 seconds after the turn, then shut off. It never came back on afterwards.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MPDano
Yes, the right turn is sort of an uphill uneven pavement surface. It stayed on about 3 seconds after the turn, then shut off. It never came back on afterwards.
I thinks that's normal.

Quick Reply: TC light flashed?