Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD5 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool TD5 Engine

So next year I'm considering a TD5 Diesel engine swap into my 04 D2... Do/es any vendors or private sellers here in the US sell these jems? If not what is the best way to get one? I know theres got to be tons of them in thew UK but I was hoping to save $$$$ by getting one here in the states. Just curious and thinking long term plans for my Disco.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually just did some research on this exact topic. There are Td5's and 300Tdi that pop up on ebay from time to time, however as far as I could tell there no consistent venders of them. There is one company (and forgive me for forgetting their name, I'll update my post once I remember) that will import reconditioned 300 Tdi's for a few grand.

There are only a few diesels out there if you really want to do the swap that are reasonable. Obviously the easiest (but possibly most costly) is a used Td5 or 300 Tdi, the next easiest and probably cheapest is an OM617 swap (which is what I'm in the midst of, link in my sig) or a 6.2/6.5L Detroit Diesel. My big problem with the 6.2 is that its a slug, and the 6.5L is a bit better (especially if it was graced with a turbo), but its MPG is not good at all (think 13 to 18 mpg) and are notorious for head gasket issues (no first hand experience, but I have many mechanic friends who worked those engines). So basically with the 6.5L you are getting yourself into a diesel, but its just about as close to the Rover V8 as you can get for a diesel.

I'd say if you could get a Td5 on the cheap that would be you best option, and since you are on the mainland, you could conceivably do a local pickup (as many of the eBay engine sales are).

If you are interested in the OM617 swap, I can always get you an adapter plate that we are in the process of making.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is a guy on the west coast who does complete td conversions from DII dismantled in the uk. comes complete motor ,tranny , pedal, intercooler, radiator,etc. next post I see I will forward. you still have the emission factor as there were no diesel imported into the US it will not pass emissions

Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

We can get them no worries. But I believe New Hampshire does emissions testing, correct? You would not pass unfortunately.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some states don't do emissions.....yet!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yet!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

For what you have to pay to swap a TD5 into a D2, I don't see any advantage. They have less power, granted better low end torque, no highway speed, plus diesel costs more and the case of Triarii, they don't run for **** in Alaska and you can't register it in your home state.i

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
TReK

Mike its good to hear from you! I don't live in Alaska year round, just 4-6 months of the year and I'm still not certain if I will return next season or not. Until further notice I still live in NH. I ask about the Td5 because one day I plan on moving to the UK, when I can find the means/connections to do so of course. The Disco will be comming with me! Figured that throwing in a Td5 now would be benificial down the road when I get there. Especially seeing how I don't expect to be making as much $$$$ over there as I am right now. I forgot about these dam emmisions tests though, I still do not understand why inspection stations can't pass a converted diesel.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Cheaper, when considering freight, to sell yours and buy one in the UK.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM
TReK

Think about all the work I've put into my Disco. Think about all the records it has and how well maintained my Disco has been. I just bought the carfax report the other day and I'm very pleased with it. Tells me exactly what was done for service for first 90,000 miles. When each oil change was done, when tires were serviced, when parts were replaced and by what dealer... it has everything. If I sold this truck and bought another one I would have to start all over and might not be so lucky to find one as well cared for... I know how the freight charges work for immporting vehicles from the US to UK. More than happy to pay it. Love the idea of bringing my Disco back to its home, and visit the factory where she was built! My Disco has sentimental value to me now so I'm keepig her for good. Are US V8's difficult to get serviced in the UK? Could always upgrade to an improved rebuilt Rover V8 and settle with that, just not sure if that would be a good move down the road in the UK.

Quick Reply: TD5 Engine