Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD5 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Think about all the work I've put into my Disco. Think about all the records it has and how well maintained my Disco has been. I just bought the carfax report the other day and I'm very pleased with it. Tells me exactly what was done for service for first 90,000 miles. When each oil change was done, when tires were serviced, when parts were replaced and by what dealer... it has everything. If I sold this truck and bought another one I would have to start all over and might not be so lucky to find one as well cared for... I know how the freight charges work for immporting vehicles from the US to UK. More than happy to pay it. Love the idea of bringing my Disco back to its home, and visit the factory where she was built! My Disco has sentimental value to me now so I'm keepig her for good. Are US V8's difficult to get serviced in the UK? Could always upgrade to an improved rebuilt Rover V8 and settle with that, just not sure if that would be a good move down the road in the UK.

Go check out the price of petrol in the UK... Average price is $9.85 a gallon.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Go check out the price of petrol in the UK... Average price is $9.85 a gallon.
Dam! Then the Britts must frown on US imported V8's that occasion their tiny roadways hehe. So it has to be a diesel then, assuming diesel is a lot cheaper fuel over there. I guess I could hold off in the new engine and just get the headgaskets done next year... save the extra $$$$ for the engine swap later down the road when I get over their. Thanks guys for the input. PS: I wonder about the Discovery 3 Diesel engine as a possibility..................

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you move to the UK you can get a better one cheaper. now i'm all for sentimentality but you might quickly fall in love with a different LR just as easily as your current ride. or keep a rover on each continent!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by weepit
if you move to the UK you can get a better one cheaper. now i'm all for sentimentality but you might quickly fall in love with a different LR just as easily as your current ride. or keep a rover on each continent!
Lol I'll be to busy falling in love with British Damsels..... and man she better have a thing for Rovers!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I explored this route back in January of this year. I ultimately decided on no diesel swap for my 04 D2 due to emissions and registration issues that would crop up if i moved from WA.

However, Gordon @Lamorna Garage in Seattle will happily put a 300TDI in your rig. He'll do a TD5 swap too, but the 300TDI has less bits to break and you can hook it all up to work without sacrificing ABS, traction control, AC etc etc

My finding was that it only made sense to do this in a pre 98 Discovery (pre OBD2) If i find the right car (manual transmission SD) , i may move forward with the project, but I won't be hacking up my 04 any time soon.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 PM
TReK

I like the 300tdi and I've read that some defender owners stand behind these engines. But the problem with this engine (like the Td5) is that its to underpowered for the D2, especially if your planning on adding bunch or heavy accesories. I'm hesitant even on the Td5 after hearing Jermey Clarksons point of view on it... but again I'm just thinking about how my Disco will fare when I do import her to the UK. So what did you mean by sacrificing and, traction control etc for the Td5? Don't UK D2's with the Td5 have all those features to?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that just finished a 300Tdi conversion on a 2000 D2 with a R380 tranny and has all functions working like traction control, hill decent etc.
The truck isn't quick but sure is fun and a real conversion piece and gas milage has doubled. Diesel in BC Canada is cheaper the petrol which makes this a worthwhile swap and we will be losing the emissions test in 2014, so no problems there.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you move to the UK I would skip getting a disco all together and get a Defender 110. Such a more badass vehicle and if you get one over 25 years old you can bring it back with you and it'll be exempt from DOT and EPA regs. There are other minor details but those are the real big hurdles.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by br0keit
If you move to the UK I would skip getting a disco all together and get a Defender 110. Such a more badass vehicle and if you get one over 25 years old you can bring it back with you and it'll be exempt from DOT and EPA regs. There are other minor details but those are the real big hurdles.
YES.

Defenders sell for a fraction of US prices in the UK. From what I've seen, if you bought two defenders, you can quite likely bring both back to the US, sell the nicest one, and come out ahead on the whole deal.

Plus they're probly the most badass trucks ever made.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 PM
TReK

I would love to own a Defender 110 station wagon one day, but not at the compromise of my Disco lol. Hell if I have my way ills have my d2, 110 station wagon and a LR4 pursuit edition.... and a British wife hehe. I have noticed how much cheaper Defenders sell for in the UK though. However one big problem with owning a Defender in the UK is that they are high on the list for theives... they steal them them ship em to the states and make big bucks off them! I read about this in a article once. Apparently Defenders are easy to break into as well. Least with the Disco they are highly valued here or in the UK so less likely a Target for theives.

Quick Reply: TD5 Engine