Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC and HDC Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDC and HDC Lights

I am new to the forum and I have gained a lot from just reading. Thanks! I’m looking for help on the following questions:

My 2004 Disco (76500 miles) was left in the driveway for 8 weeks. It started fine but the TDC and HDC lights came on and have stayed on ever since (they weren’t on before). There have been a couple of instances of the ABS light coming on intermittently – but generally it’s only the TDC and HDC lights that are on. I took it to my local Landrover dealer and he called me to tell me that it was showing a code of 11,4 that indicated a Shuttle Valve Failure. They “disassembled the ABS unit and repaired the wiring to the shuttle valves” to fix that. However, they then called me again to tell me that the lights were still on and that it now needs a new throttle position sensor. My response was that it seemed to me that there had been nothing wrong with the Shuttle Valve system and that they had just “fixed” something expensive that didn’t need fixing! Perhaps I am wrong!! My questions therefore are:
  • Is it typical for several failures to occur at the same time in this system?
  • Is it likely that there was only one failure (throttle position sensor) and that the diagnosis system indicated it as a Shuttle Valve Failure first?, or
  • Is the dealer just replacing things and just hoping (and of course, charging me)?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your 3 Amigo's came on because the rotors were rusted from sitting in the driveway for 2 months, no big deal.
The lights would have shut off after a week or so a driving.

The shuttle repair valve that they did is a actual repair.

And yes, I think the stealer is just throwing parts at your truck.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Boy, did they see you coming.
Did you have any other fault code numbers besides for the brake system? How did they determine you needed a TPS?
I bet they didn't even test the shuttle valve prior to removing and if it was bad and they didn't replace the o-rings, it will just come back.
Did your brakes squeak when you first started up and drove the truck after letting it sit? If they did, that is from rust build up on the rotors and will go away with in a few miles of driving but it will cause codes.
How mechanical are you, if you are, send me your number and I'll call you back.
By the way, what did they charge you for the ABS work?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I don't remember the breakes squeaking, but I'm sure that they were rusty because we live in a humid area - close to the ocean. I haven't got the bill yet because they haven't fixed the problem, but I'm not looking forward to it!