Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Temp Gauge

I hope this doesn't sound silly but have any of you men pondered the ridiculousness of this whole culture of us enthusiasts and application of a plethora of aftermarket temperature and oil pressure gauges for these D2 trucks. Obviously it's an issue so why not a simple recall to recalibrate the computer? ECU swap? I don't know...

Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm shocked LR let it get this far. "You need new headgaskets. It will be $2000" (est) "why? I never had to get head gaskets put on 10 of the various other cars I have owned." "It's been running hot for who knows how long." "That's a surprise. My dash never indicated anything as such." "Ya well, Discos run hot and temp keeps climbing with age. The temperature gauge doesn't really work." This is my mock scenario of LR owner with mechanic/ service-tech

Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

I like the way you think. Find someone who understands and can open the ecu source code and reprogram it.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Chubbs. You are right. The lack of an accurate temperature gauge (skipping past the underlying problem of very hot engines) has cost me literally thousands of dollars. Until now, I bemoaned but did not directly blame, the temperature gauge. I maintain SEVERAL cars/trucks and none of them have ever overheated nor needed head gaskets, except the rover.

I assume every electronic vehicle has a lying temperature gauge.

I have a very old Mercedes diesel and the temperature gauge on it moves constantly. I drove it from Texas to Nevada and when I got in the mountains and was accelerating uphill, it would eventually warm up and I'd be more gentle on the throttle. Or, at least, I knew I was thrashing the temps. That's the way it should be... but is is a mechanical, not electronic, gauge.

However, while I'm with you on the gauge I do love the ridiculous repair costs... because it costs so much to fix them at a shop, I can get a parts rover for peanuts. It is just good that I don't plan to sell mine. The cost of repair is why our trucks are so much cheaper than inferior jeep products, yet we all know ours are vastly better, and yes, I have owned jeeps.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-28-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Most trucks and cars have rubbish temp gauges and no oil pressure gauge which are usually hidden behind the steering wheel in any event. IMO on these trucks there are two essential aftermarket gauges, coolant temperature and oil pressure. I have fitted both and they are both bright blue digital readouts with audible and visual alarms the temp set to 100C and the oil pressure to 10psi minimum. In both cases I would expect they are the critical levels.

PS. I'm writing about a Td5 here not a V8.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking from a theoretical standpoint, I agree completely. I believe the underlying issue is the vast majority of the car-owning public, who have a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to make a car go, and keep going. And I do mean complete lack.

However, my overly practical side says that a $90 ultragauge will solve the coolant temp problem, and about $100 in parts will get you an oil pressure gauge setup.

Personally, I'll spend $190 before I take the time to learn how to hack an ECU. I'm a lot quicker with a wrench and a credit card.

But for some soccer-mom that originally bought this thing for $40K? Sure, she needs a gauge that just shuts the car off before she can wreck the motor.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
Speaking from a theoretical standpoint, I agree completely. I believe the underlying issue is the vast majority of the car-owning public, who have a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to make a car go, and keep going. And I do mean complete lack.

However, my overly practical side says that a $90 ultragauge will solve the coolant temp problem, and about $100 in parts will get you an oil pressure gauge setup.

Personally, I'll spend $190 before I take the time to learn how to hack an ECU. I'm a lot quicker with a wrench and a credit card.

But for some soccer-mom that originally bought this thing for $40K? Sure, she needs a gauge that just shuts the car off before she can wreck the motor.

yes, you catch my gist, but not entirely. having to spend money and turn wrenches? to create something new because that which is original is faulty or does not work? Never did?? on a $40-someodd K$ vehicle as you said...
That's what I'm talking about.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well...the fundamental principle of modern economics is, more or less, that everything is a trade-off.

Yes, making a $40K lump of dogs*** on wheels, kind of like rover did, is not a great way to stay in business. The market has agreed, as rover has been passed around more than the skanky girl from your high school at this point.

However, as we enthusiasts, (or sometimes known as "bottom-feeders" in the business) are able to obtain said $40K lump for, typically under $8K, and in a lot of cases, under $5k, the trade-off effect comes into play.

Versus a new, very reliable, say Toyota or Nissan product, which, by my math, are north of $40K now, and parts are aggressively priced as well.

In the end, yes, rover made some terrible calls. It was business, combined with lack of funds, tightening emissions standards, and sub-par work.

However, I, and it seems many others here, derive a lot of satisfaction and pleasure from altering these beasts to stay running, and living with their quirky british nature.

At the end of the day, I consider it a point of personal pride to be able, (with a little help from this board) to identify, diagnose, and repair mechanical and electrical problems. I think its a necessary skill to have to retain your Man Card.

Or, as a gearhead friend of mine used to say, "you can whine about it, or pick up a wrench, use your head, and stomp the other guy off the line"..... (he was heavy into drag races).

Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Well...the fundamental principle of modern economics is, more or less, that everything is a trade-off.

Yes, making a $40K lump of dogs*** on wheels, kind of like rover did, is not a great way to stay in business. The market has agreed, as rover has been passed around more than the skanky girl from your high school at this point.

However, as we enthusiasts, (or sometimes known as "bottom-feeders" in the business) are able to obtain said $40K lump for, typically under $8K, and in a lot of cases, under $5k, the trade-off effect comes into play.

Versus a new, very reliable, say Toyota or Nissan product, which, by my math, are north of $40K now, and parts are aggressively priced as well.

In the end, yes, rover made some terrible calls. It was business, combined with lack of funds, tightening emissions standards, and sub-par work.

However, I, and it seems many others here, derive a lot of satisfaction and pleasure from altering these beasts to stay running, and living with their quirky british nature.

At the end of the day, I consider it a point of personal pride to be able, (with a little help from this board) to identify, diagnose, and repair mechanical and electrical problems. I think its a necessary skill to have to retain your Man Card.

Or, as a gearhead friend of mine used to say, "you can whine about it, or pick up a wrench, use your head, and stomp the other guy off the line"..... (he was heavy into drag races).
Exactement totally agree

IMO so many grouse about their LR's or D2's BUT nobody forced them to buy the old used (and often abused) badly maintained LR. Why did they buy them?, because they were cheap and cool. New LR trucks work like a dream like any new car still under warranty but an 11 to 20 year old truck with multiple owners and issues will surely, to anyone with an iota of common sense, will expect that old heap of bits to cause trouble and need, like any other car, maintenance and even moreso due to it's age and mechanical complexity. IMO if someone wants a super reliable (often very boring) car don't buy an 11 to 20 year old truck but invest invest in a new pretty Toyota Prius (yawn), VW Bora/Passat, Skoda Octavia or similar.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Pro Wrench

In essence, these are the reasons why I purchased a '03 Discovery instead of a '10 Range Rover or Touraeg. There is a certain satisfaction that only comes with improving upon an investment as large as a vehicle. Having the knowledge that I alone researched, repaired and made replacements and modifications necessary to make this vehicle solid and reliable carries its weight in gold as I now know that the previous owner was destroying it bit by bit, ignoring the tells and neglecting upgrades and updates altogether. fortunately I had the God-given sense to join this group, investigate the tick which the previous owner said was normal for Discos, check all of the moving parts, and made sure I got it running at the right temperature once I learned the gauge doesn't function properly! This beauty would be getting picked apart in a scrapyard right now if I hadn't found her 😘

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge