Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I Would ducwad.. running those kinds of temps is asking for trouble from what I understand. Before you do too much more driving I would investigate those leaks..

I may just replace the radiator for the hell of it.. no clue what PO did to this thing besides replace the driveshaft AFTER it failed.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducwad
Well the Water Wetter did nada. High temp of 221 on the commute in. Mostly when staying hot it was 217.4 with blips to 221. So this may have been my hi temp the other day, too. I guess that's a data point for the snake oil side of the fence.

It's odd, too. The temp tends to stay high cruising about 50mph but when cruising at 35mph it drops down to < 210F

I'm pretty paranoid about the cooling system and watch the UG like a hawk, too! I bought the truck assuming I would need to do the head gaskets. But I also think I have an external leak as I have no funny smells in the exhaust and the oil on the dipstick looks good. I'm changing the oil soon so we'll see for sure. I haven't pulled the plugs to see if any of my pistons sparkle.

Anyway it's obvious that I need to do something...
Had the same issue with mine before I replaced the radiator. It was not able to expel the heat even at highway speeds since it was clogged up. Might not be your problem but its a good place to start.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can check to see if its your radiator by measuring the temp near the inlet and outlet hose. IF there's not more than a 10F difference, you need a new radiator, otherwise, your problem lies elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Winching

Awesome.. I thought I had to shoot the actual radiator finns.. thanks dan. It hit 205 sitting in stop and go traffic on a hill in morristown.. I was freaking out.. I actually shut it down for 20 minutes.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that is odd to me is that I hear everyone quoting temperatures when driving up hills as if that should be the hottest. Mine actually goes down driving up hills!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Winching

temps should climb going up hill. engine works harder thus generating more heat.

ok well i took temps today after a 25 minute trip to lowes.

UG-195*
upper rad hose-150*
lower- wait for it... 95*

should i park it or what? lol

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. My UG read 208-210 on a recent trip. I have a new 180 tstat ready to install. I guess low 200-high 190 is normal with that stat.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

So the first post in this thread explains why I might be seeing temperatures drop when accelerating up hill - clogged up t-stat. I'm planning on flushing the system, changing to a 180F t-stat and replacing the expansion tank cap anyways so I may see better temps soon.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Winching

just remember.. i believe i am dealing with a clogged radiator. its common on these. i already installed a 180* stat. it was a good thing too.. when i did the front cover seal and h20 pump.. the one that was in it literally crumbled in my hands.

i think i missed something.. if there IS big temp difference from top to bottom then the radiator is good?

Last edited by zeroone; 02-18-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
4wd Low

Well the t-stat was NOT clogged. I flushed the system and installed new coolant, a new pressure cap and a new 180F t-stat. Short trip to the hardware store to get a spring to fix one of my horn buttons never saw over 202F and I know there is air in there still as I get the waterfall sound under acceleration. So, much better temps than before.

I also noticed that my viscous fan is always spinning. When cold the first attempt to spin it by hand it fails as expected but by the third attempt it is spinning all the way round and more. When I started the truck to warm it up after putting the cooling system back together I noticed that it ran from startup and never stopped. I hate to think that the only reason I didn't overheat was that my fan was stuck. I'll have to add it to the list of things to do.

Quick Reply: temp question