Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terra Firma Lift kit installed (no lift)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2" Terra Firma Lift kit installed (no car lift)

As you can see the BIG BOSS is in the blue chair..

The back ones went on EASY.. only a couple hours of work.

The front ones however, when I got to them the next weekend where a little more problematic..

You have to disconnect the front driveshaft to let the front suspension hang low enough to get the new springs in.

I painted everything with an anti rust coating, the frame, etc, even though I live in the south. And before you ask me why the rotors have paint on them, I learned where they make contact with the pads, I'm just lazy, and it burns right off after driving a half mile but the rest looks brand new..

The Disco will now officially crush the Jag..! HAHA

And here's a link to a video of some fun after the new lift, I ALMOST GOT STUCK AN HAD TO BE PULLED OUT BY A JEEP!!!!!! But we made it out, had little kids along for the ride...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/566u0e34u1...20new.mov?dl=0

Last edited by caymandrew; 04-28-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks killer. Did you just drive it up on ramps, jack up off of ramps, then remove ramps and let it down onto jack stands? Did you jack up under the frame or the axle? Also, what size tire is that?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

great post. loved the vid. what kind of rack thingy are you running there?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

those are stock height springs?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Looks killer. Did you just drive it up on ramps, jack up off of ramps, then remove ramps and let it down onto jack stands? Did you jack up under the frame or the axle? Also, what size tire is that?
I drove up the ramps with the intention of lifting all four tires off the ground, as you can see in the next photo's I realized quickly that was going to be impossible with the stand I had. So I got ride of the ramps, jacked the back up with a 3-1/2 tin floor jack ON TOP of one of the ramps, and then put the jack stands on 5" think stones under the rear cross bar. Only way to get the *** high enough to put the new springs in, plus you need to lower the connections on the sway bar to get the axle down even further.

The current Tires I have are 245/75R16 WARDEN A/T (E) but those were the biggest I could go with a stock suspension. But after the lift I plan to get CLAW M/T LT265/75R16 (E)

Originally Posted by drowssap
those are stock height springs?
No, it was the 2" lift kit. Being that the OEM springs are 14 years old they have probably compressed at least an inch, and with the new tires I anticipate the entire project to lift the roof height 4".

It wasn't to bad of a DIY project. When I said no lift I meant no car lift, just doing it in the driveway

Last edited by caymandrew; 04-28-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just wondering because the title is TF spring install no lift, I thought, well you know.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Cool. Did you have to yank the front driveshaft or cross member? (Edit: Nevermind, just saw in the picture that the driveshaft was disconnected.)

I'm running without sways in the rear, so that's already out of the way. Actually, I recommend trying the same to anyone. I noticed almost no difference except on the interstate at 75+ mph, where it actually rides BETTER. It used to walk around a little and doesn't now that the rear sway is gone. Strange, but I'm not going to argue.

I looked at the Warden tires. After a lot of research, I found that when the company moved or changed hands or whatever happened they got rid of a lot of their senior staff and quality took a plunge. I plan on getting the 265/75r16 10-ply Mud Claw Radial M/Ts. My local tire shop has them for $174 each including mount and balance, and the owner runs them on a couple of his own vehicles.

Last edited by Alex_M; 04-28-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great! You can get the front springs in without disconnecting the drive shaft. Just put your stock bottle jack between the axle and frame to push the axle down until there is enough room to pull the old spring out and pop the new one back in.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmiccharlie
Looks great! You can get the front springs in without disconnecting the drive shaft. Just put your stock bottle jack between the axle and frame to push the axle down until there is enough room to pull the old spring out and pop the new one back in.
What he said, but make sure your sway bar links are disconnected. Otherwise, you won't get the axle to drop that far.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Love it, good job man! Did you get the MD or HD Terrafirma kit?

Quick Reply: Terra Firma Lift kit installed (no lift)