Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma +2" Kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrafirma +2" Kit questions

I recently acquired a 04 DII with a leaky SLS system that I am going to replace with coils. Looking at going with a Terrafirma kit. The Disco is going to be a weekend toy/ adventure vehicle. It will see quite a few trails, but I'm not planning on any serious wheeling. Front and Rear bumpers, a RTT, and 265/75-16s are future additions.

What is the Difference between these two kits? Apart from the fact that the first kit has the spring perches and isolators. What about the second link makes it cost more?

TF230:
Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - PLUS 2 INCH HEAVY DUTY COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT FOR DISCOVERY II
TF230 - Disco 2 Air to Coil Conversion Kit

RNK723 (seems to be a Rovers North bundle)
Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - TERRAFIRMA ALL TERRAIN HD SUSPENSION KIT - DISCOVERY II

Also, while we are at it, where does this Terrafirma kit fit in?
Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Or I could get 4x +2 All terrain shocks, HD front and rear springs from Lucky8 for $504.

I am confused, prices are all over the place and most of the kits don't definitively say what they contain.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

The reason the RNK723 kit costs more is because all the parts are separate. The TF230 kit is sold as a single box, and I'm assuming ordered the same way. The Lucky 8 kit is a 3" lift, which some say you need extended lines for, some say you don't. Each kit you mentioned comes with springs and shocks, but the TF230 comes with the rear conversion pieces for air suspension.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you plan on keeping this Disco for awhile and using it a lot off road, seriously consider buying a OME medium duty lift with their Sport shocks, you will get a lot more performance out of it on and off road.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Unless you're like me, and have bad luck with OME. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I like my TF kit way more than the OME kit I had. More lift as well.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, but when you see the number of people removing their TF lifts and replacing them with OME, that also says there are others out there with the same feelings.
Yes, TF sells a lot of lifts, for one reason only, they are cheap and now days money/costs tend to turn people away from good quality old lifts to cheaper ones.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running the TerraFirma 3" lift that you linked to from Lucky 8 since February 2011 on my D2. It has performed very nicely and doesn't bang me around nearly as much as the OME springs that I have on my D1. My only note is that with bumpers a winch I'm seeing a little under 3". (I believe this is primarily because the springs are softer than the OME springs.)

Anyway, I've wheeled both of these trucks hard, so I can tell you that the TF kit is holding up just as well than my OME kit (763 and 764 springs and nitrocharger shocks if it matters). I have extended brake lines on my D2, but didn't add them until much later. (If you don't disconnect your sway bars, you probably aren't going to need the extended brake lines.)

IMO, the TF kits are a great value and perform quite well in tough conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 3" TF kit with the +2 shocks again, and would even recommend it. (Especially given that you said you aren't planning on any serious wheeling.)

Last edited by dcarr1971; 09-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill ask a lift kit question here rather than starting the 500th lift thread (and its on this topic).

The TF coil coversion kits have the small (circular pieces) conversion parts that come with them.

I am checking out the OME kits and they dont say anything about it being a CONVERSION kit (only call it a lift kit- so Im assuming that they think you have already converted from air to coil) and do not list the small circular pieces as being included in their kit. But they do come with a steering dampner.

The question is, If I go with the OME kit. Do I need the conversion pieces that come with the TF conversion kit. And if so where do I get them seperately?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all Discos came with the SLS air ride. If yours does then you will have to buy a conversion kit like the TF one, or you will have to buy the spring seats separately.

OME doesn't make the spring perch, but the OEM ones are fairly cheap. Expedition Exchange Incorporated :: Suspension :: Land Rover Genuine Parts Spring Seat (ANR3578)