Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma rear bumper install woes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Terrafirma rear bumper install woes.

Heh all,
I got most of the way through installing the Terrafirma rear bumper today but in still faced with one problem. I'm having a hard time getting the bolt holes for the trailer hitch and the bumper to line up so that I can bolt the hitch to the sub frame.
Any suggestions on the best approach here, the holes aren't off by much, but it looks like I need the bumper to move upwards and back maybe 1/3 of an inch. I've tried loosening off all the bolts and pushing and pulling on the bumper, but it fits into the space between the subframe and hitch mount really snugly, and it's that area that I need to manipulate.

Thoughts?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Robert got any pictures of what your dealing with. I'm not coming up with a good picture in my mind.

I know holding a bumper and taking photos doesn't always work

Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

This sounds all too familiar.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (06-30-2022)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for responding guys.
I'll post some pics tomorrow.
The TF rear bumper utilizes the existing outer mounting points as the OE bumper but also has a bracket that is supposed to slide between the hitch and the sub frame, to provide a center mounting point. Atlantic British's howto video on YouTube magically cuts out the part where that would all need to be aligned

Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

happy birthday from terrafirma

Last edited by drowssap; 11-12-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Robert Booth (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a large, tapered end tool like the ones steel workers use to align bolt holes. I had to make my own from an old tire iron. I made mine on my Bridgeport, but you can also just use a disc or belt sander with a table. You need to constantly spin the tool to get a nice uniform end on it.

Or, I guess you could use a big *** screw driver.

I needed a TON of leverage to move the holes into alignment. I also had to push up on the bumper...used blocks of wood and a floor jack. Took all day to do it. Which is better than the 3 DAYS it took to do the front bumper!

Also....I had to remove the large washer-like spacers that were tacked to the hitch...or were they tacked to the bumper?? I can't remember, but they look like 1/4" thick washers. That was really the turning point of the install...once they were gone it went much easier.

Robert Booth (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by GR from Plaice Cove
I used a large, tapered end tool like the ones steel workers use to align bolt holes. I had to make my own from an old tire iron. I made mine on my Bridgeport, but you can also just use a disc or belt sander with a table. You need to constantly spin the tool to get a nice uniform end on it.

Or, I guess you could use a big *** screw driver.

I needed a TON of leverage to move the holes into alignment. I also had to push up on the bumper...used blocks of wood and a floor jack. Took all day to do it. Which is better than the 3 DAYS it took to do the front bumper!

Also....I had to remove the large washer-like spacers that were tacked to the hitch...or were they tacked to the bumper?? I can't remember, but they look like 1/4" thick washers. That was really the turning point of the install...once they were gone it went much easier.
You sir, are today's winner!
It's the washers that I haven't yet removed that are contributing to the mis-alignment. Once those are out of there I should be able to get enough movement to line things up.

So far, i've used a combination of my two post lift and a HF motorcycle/ATV lift to manipulate the hitch and Bumper but I couldn't figure out how to apply leverage to that center bracket without putting a hole in my gas tank

Old 11-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surprise, huh!....and they said these things would just bolt on! Yeah, right.

I'm glad I was able to help a little :-)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

Robert, I would love to see some pics of your TF bumper when it is done. I still have the factory rear bumper. Lucky me. The hitch and rear step has acted as pretty good dampers so far

But I know a steel rear is on the horizon.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Robert, I would love to see some pics of your TF bumper when it is done. I still have the factory rear bumper. Lucky me. The hitch and rear step has acted as pretty good dampers so far

But I know a steel rear is on the horizon.
I believe the word 'podger' is correct. The spike thing scaffolders use.

I would also like to see photos.

Glad you got it on.......

Quick Reply: Terrafirma rear bumper install woes.