Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma vs. OME

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrafirma vs. OME

Hey guys I just want a completely unbiased opinion on what shocks/springs to get for my disco 2. I'm looking at old man emu's and terrafirma kits and i just want to know what I should get for my truck. Trying to look out for my baby off road.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I dont know much about Old Man Emu but I do have a TerraFirma 2" HD lift kit, steering damper and TF diff guards and so far no complaints. Never heard anything bad about TerraFirma. One thing I like about them is that they specialize in Land Rovers whereas OME offers products who various makes and models. I trust a company that specializes in my make and model more than I do a universal company.

That said I have always wondered about EMU products so I to would like to hear from anyone using OME products.

The following users liked this post:
LRlax11 (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I have used OME, RTE, Bilstein and TerraFirma over the years.

RTE straight rate springs are very harsh. The variable rate are very good.

OME springs were all Harsh and the shocks failed to impress.

Bilstein standard shocks are very firm, and the 7100 remotes were good but not worth the cash for most casual users.

TerraFirma is a nice balance of cost and ride. No where near as harsh on the springs and the shocks pair nicely with TerraFirma springs or new stock springs. For a very good overall ride quality. I have also experienced TF Suspension being beaten like a red-headed step child and seem to enjoy the abuse and perform perfectly.

To me for 90% of off roaders the TerraFirma equipment is going to make you happy and do what you need it to do.

The following users liked this post:
NewToTheTwo (07-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If you want good shocks, get ones that you can change the valving on so you can tune the compression and rebound to suit your purpose, and plan on learning about it and spending a few days to revalve them several times to get it right. If you're looking for the best shocks at the lowest price, it's probably Fox 2.0 from PolyPerformance. If you're willing to pay more, there are good shocks from Bilstein, King and SAW as well.

If you're lifted, you should have at least top shock mounts that raise the shocks higher so you can use longer thank stock shocks. You can get "short-body" reservoir shocks that will give the most travel in the shortest package. Whether you're lifted or stock, you can select the shock by measuring the needed compressed and extended lengths and choosing a shock is not longer when compressed, and not shorter when extended so that you don't bottom or overextend the shock.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

TF springs are fine, their shocks are so/so. OME is alright, I've had those fail too, but after a longer period of time. I'm loving the Fox shocks, but have not run them long enough to give a true assessment.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Mudding

I picked up a set of terrafirma HD +2 springs and shocks as well as terrafirmas steering dampener from rovers north and I have nothing but good things to say. Plus for 500 you can't beat the price. I recommend them.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Except when your suspension bottoms out on a bump, there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling

One thing to keep in mind is that the OME HD shocks (which I just fitted) have no extra travel, they are the same length as the stock shocks so will not extend any further when fully articulated, this was kind of a letdown on the trail for me. I also got the HD springs/coils and they probably only added about 1.5" of lift. Had the 2" MD duty TF set on my old Disco 1, a much softer and higher ride.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmb23
One thing to keep in mind is that the OME HD shocks (which I just fitted) have no extra travel
Then you bought the wrong shocks:

Terrafirma vs. OME-image-3219337438.jpg

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by BayerischeDisco
I picked up a set of terrafirma HD +2 springs and shocks as well as terrafirmas steering dampener from rovers north and I have nothing but good things to say. Plus for 500 you can't beat the price. I recommend them.
X1 I have recently fitted TF standards (TF 118's and 119's I run mostly pavement) plus new springs front, new airbags rear and a new TF steering damper. New drag + track control rods coupled with the new LR genuine engine and gearbox mounts it's like a new truck. TF are doing "exactly what it says on the tin" so I'm very pleased to date after 4K miles of driving. Just need my wheels re-balanced and transfer box + diff seals done now.

PS 5x Shocks and new Swedish front springs cost £350ish about $525 in March 2014.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-28-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrafirma vs. OME