Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove a 04 D2 - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove a 04 D2 - a few questions

Greetings - new to the forum. I have done a decent chunk of research here, Discoweb, bad info on TheCarLounge, etc etc.

I am interested in picking up a D2 for my Wife for her DD (Owns floral/event business, needs lots of space) PLUS I want to get into some overland 4X4 action and my MKV Jetta doesnt really cut it.

I test drove a 2004 D2 today, first D2 I have ever driven. Only thing I can compare it with is a few UZJ100s I have driven recently. It is a 2004 SE7 with 78k on it, two owners. Limited service records but based on carfax report it appears to have seen regular service at a local LR dealer. I would do a PPI before I even considered buying it.

Drove pretty well, was quiet, brakes were decent, engine seemed smooth. A few things I noticed:

- I exited the car after driving for a bit and noticed a tinge of a burning smell... I couldnt place it to definitely be coolant or anything specific, but there was something.

- When crusing at 45-50, if I lifted my foot of the accelerator completely, and then put my foot back on the accelerator there was a bit of a clunk feel/slight noise

- pretty difficult to shift from 4H to 4L using the transfer case, and I COULD NOT get it to lock the CDL - no matter how hard i pushed to the left. I was following the Manual exactly.

- There was some discoloration on the headliner near the vents for the rear air - almost looked like water marks. Could have been a stain that was poorly cleaned up - could it be something else? Leaking sunroof? condensation from the AC?

AC was cold, all electronics worked, it was 90+ out and the engine kept completely normal operating temp.

They are asking $10.9 - I think that even if EVERYTHING checked out and the front u-joints had been replaced + a new headgasket, the most I would pay is $9,500. The guy also stated he just had the "three amigos" fixed, he chalked it up to an ABS sensor.

Thoughts? This worth my time? To be honest, is a D2 worth my time? I can handle a decent chunk of DIY stuff but I live in a Condo w/out a garage. Maybe Toyota is the better route.

Thanks for any and all help. I have spent a lot of time lurking and it looks like there is a ton of good information out there.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Mudding

I love my D2, but it seems like I am always working on it. Perhaps you should look into a used LR3, the prices on those have been coming down, and you can probably get a good used one for under 20k, plus they have a bit more cargo room than the D2's.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a one owner 2004 se with the safari rack and a push bar with 82k on it and a few minor issues for $5100

Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

That's too much $$ for the truck, but sounds alright.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I think they may be asking a bit much - but I'm a poor guy so I'll always think that...

The amigos can return whether done yesterday or not - depends on the issue. Transmission I have nothing for you - my new car with a CVT does the exact same thing.

Almost hate to say this but I've been looking at an FJ62... ENTIRELY different vehicle I know but still a good one. The $ they command so many more years on says something.

DIY is good - be ready to do some with the LR. Once the major service and any issues are corrected, though they can be quite good.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ripoff. CDL is frozen will have to be take apart and inspected. Rear sunroof is leaking. Shuttle valves are shot. were the headgaskets done? i have seen 04's selling for $8k

Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Do not underestimate sunroof repairs on this vehicle - they're not fun...

Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably a dealer. Who wants to get free money from you.
From you "falling in love" and paying ANYTHING to get that Discovery.

Your 04 already had headgaskets?

Here are other things to look for:

o Radiator plugged - may not cool the engine sufficiently.
o Cylinder liners come loose - in your model year and they clank. At
this point the engine is a throw a way item.
o Oil pump self destructs. This is in a certain VIN range.

These are extreme things. But all of them show up on this board at one time or another.

I paid $2,000 for a 2001 and fixed it up myself with new head gaskets and other things.

I still have a vibration at 70 MPH.

if your wife is using it for flowers and you are going to beat the crap out if it on trails, you don't need an expensive or fancy one to get
ruined with flower water all over the trunk from spills.

And from rocks scraping off the paint from rocks flying off the tires.
Up to you.

So far - someone took a crow bar to my hood in Boulder, Colorado.
So, if I had paid $11K - that would "Hurt" more.
I just backed into a cement pillar today.
Again - that would have HURT more if I paid $11K.

If you are rich and $11K is just throw away money than buy it.
If you are frugal or retired - don't.

Personally, I would get 8K cash in 100's. Keep taking that into the Dealer and say: "Price is 8K out the door". Tax included.

Deal or no deal?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how is he going to check the liners without taking apart the engine? also the bad oil pumps were on 03 not 04.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine in a similar situation. Carfax showed all maint performed at LR dealership. I took the truck to the dealer for a pre-buy inspection. They told me it needed brakes ($1300, lmao), new ashtray and coin holder, oil sump gasket, and xfer case gasket.

I bought it (for about $7k). In reality it needed lots of work.
Radiator, Oil pump, timing chain, leaking power steering pump, leaky heads (haven't done this yet), and something else i can't remember. Put me out a couple grand and counting

Needless to say, I wouldn't trust the LR dealer to put air in my bicycle tire, let alone repair a Discovery. Unfortunately, this is my second LR (first was a 06 RRS) which I also had serviced at sister LR dealer, which is equally as competent as the first.

Good news is there are several good indy's in and around my town (big city in north texas).

If there is someone you know and trust, I would have them inspect it. Get a hold of your local LR club, as I have done, and they are a wealth of knowledge.

All that said, I do think $9500 is too much though.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 04 D2 - a few questions