Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks and a few Head Gasket Tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thanks and a few Head Gasket Tips

Over the Christmas holiday my dad and I had the pleasure of doing a head gasket repair job on my 2001 Disco. I had a local shop do my head gasket repair back when I first purchased it, but I found out over the years that I like working with my hands (mainly because it's different than my real job which requires me to be at a desk), so my dad and I decided to do it ourselves. With the Rave manual and the search feature on this website - it’s really not very difficult. Just time consuming.

I really don't know that I have a lot of additional knowledge to give to the community which has not already been covered, but I have a few things that people may be of interest to you or help you save a few bucks.

1. I purchased this set of Victor Reinz gaskets from Amazon and, although it says that it does not come with valve seals or intake plenum gasket, the set that I received had both of them.

Amazon.com: Victor Reinz Cylinder Head Gasket Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Victor Reinz Cylinder Head Gasket Set: Automotive

2. After much deliberation, we decided to go with the ARP studs. I figured that the last head gasket job only lasted 50k miles with the TTY bolts, so why not try something else. I purchased the following set from Amazon and to answer your questions - yes, it is cheaper than the other ARB set and it includes the correct studs and a few "bonus" studs.

Amazon.com: ARP 124-4003 6-Point Head Stud Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ARP 124-4003 6-Point Head Stud Kit: Automotive

Also, my dad and I went with 60 ft. lbs. on the torque. Again we deliberated for a long time and did lots of research on what are the correct torque specs and, when the time came and we tightened them down, 60 ft. lbs. just felt right. I also note that this place in the Houston area, which claims to be an expert in British autos, has a nice write-up on their "solution" to Land Rover engine problems. They claim, if you read through the following link, to be using 60 ft. lbs. To be clear, I'm not advocating using these people or purchasing anything from them. In fact, I'd tell you not to. I called their parts group looking for a price on the gaskets and ARP studs, to ask a few questions about their head gasket repair process, and to confirm that they use 60 ft. lbs on the studs. The very rude guy on the phone says that we don't sell ARP studs we only sell the TTY bolts and the only way you can get the ARP studs is if you purchase our engine overhaul package which costs $7,000 (are they insane?) and that they won't be giving me any "free information over the phone." Strange way to treat a potential local parts customer! I took my parts business for my gaskets and ARP studs to Amazon. Suck it British Motorcars Ltd!!!

Motorcars Ltd : Land Rover 4.0L and 4.6L Engine Failure and our Solution

3. If you are in the Houston area. Take your heads to A&A Machine Shop off of Tidwell. I received a recommendation for this shop from a reputable mechanic in Kingwood. Those guys do great work. If I recall correctly, both heads surfaced, cleaned, and a valve job for $265. Good people.

It's been a little over a month and she runs great!

Thanks again and good luck.

The following users liked this post:
jamestfl (02-05-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Now you need to stand the test of time and see if the heads will hold out.
Put Premium gasoline into it to minimize pinging the engine.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, ARPs should be 20, 40, 80. Issues like the one you described are the perils of ordering through some 3rd party and not someone who actually does Rovers for a living. And you overpaid.

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 02-06-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what I overpaid for and I don't care to go back and check to see if the prices have changed since I purchased the Victor Reinz gaskets and ARP studs from Amazon, but I'll assure you it was the best price (and probably still is). Plus, I'm an Amazon Prime member and I value the free 2-day shipping.

And I see that the torque debate rages on. You like with 20, 40, 80. We elected to go with 60. I'm just giving another data point. The car runs great so far -- I'll let you know if it doesn't.