Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks Mike

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Mike

This afternoon, while in a client’s parking lot, my brake light switch failed and I couldn’t shift out of park. I had with me a pair of tickets to tonight’s Celtics/Pistons game that I'd promised to another customer......who's offices were many miles away from where I was stranded.

I called my wife who helped me out by searchingthrough related posts on the forum....to see ifit was anything I could fix on-the-fly. One of the post replies contained Disco Mike’s phone number so she decided to cut to the chase and call him. I subsequently got in touch with him and he walked me through a quick-fix override to get me up and running to a dealership. I grabbed the $20 part that he told me I needed and spent all of 2 minutes replacing it.

Thanks again Mike. It's my turn to add to the long list of "thank you Mike" posts on this forum. Your willingness field a random call from atotal stranger bailed me out of a big-time jam and turned around a bad day.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Thanks Mike

So what was the quick fix override?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prettyinsane actually.....connecting one end of an electrical wire to the rear window defrost (where the wire connects to the glass) and the other end to an electrical connection on high-mount brake light and then turning on the rear defrost. Apparently, this sends a current to the brake light and tricks the system into thinking that the lights are functional......in turn releasing the lock on the shift.

How people figure this stuff out, I'll never know......I'm just glad they do!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They figured this out when they built the trk, they build "emergency" by-pass' into every car.
I had heard that if you unplug the rear defroster and stick a paperclip into the plug and turn the reardefroster on it will work too. But I wanted to hear what you had heard, I would say it's all good.