Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermal wrap on catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal wrap on catalytic converter

Has anyone wrapped their cat with header wrap? I just purchased a 1999 Disco II with a broken tranny from the front shaft getting spit out. Ive heard the cat cooks the ungreasable ujoints and helps accelerate wear. Anyway Ive just replaced the tranny with a used unit and I bought a brand new front shaft. Id like to curb any future problems with this so Im thinking of wrapping the exhaust next to the shaft. Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts about this or am I going to cause a problem by wrapping the cat.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

interesting idea.. it gets up to 600 now. I wonder if that wouldn't up the oven and it might cook itself?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slap a piece of sheet metal between them to block radiant heat

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

grease your new prop shaft every 3000 miles and move on to the next issue.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM
4wd Low

Geeze sorry I asked I guess Ill go back to over Rangerovers.net. Screw it Im wrapping them Ill find out for myself what happens, if it melts the cats so what.
Originally Posted by jeffh
grease your new prop shaft every 3000 miles and move on to the next issue.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
interesting idea.. it gets up to 600 now. I wonder if that wouldn't up the oven and it might cook itself?
I second this.. wondering what would happen. A heat shield could be just as effective. Then again.. greasing the driveshaft every time you are under it isn't a bad idea either.. I do it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

hacksaw do a search I am pretty sure you will find others having talked about this idea as well. What I said was meant as constructive, as in no need to worry as long as you grease every oil change. with the new shaft. But good luck.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Bad idea. The wrap will overheat and damage the substrate, rendering it useless. The catalyst will get damaged. I'm 1 million percent positive.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hacksaw830
Geeze sorry I asked I guess Ill go back to over Rangerovers.net. Screw it Im wrapping them Ill find out for myself what happens, if it melts the cats so what.
Cats are expensive components and should be cared for.
Wrapping them will increase internal operating temps, this in turn will oxidize the nitrogen in the gas charge more easily to produce more NOx out the tail pipe!

Depends upon where you are but in E state conscious states you may not pass your E test quite so easily especially if your rig is running on the margins of pass.

I plan every 80K to change out my front prop shaft as a service item and currently my 2002 D2 has 220K miles on it--three prop later and never worry about abrupt failures.
I look upon it as a service item.

If you use a drive shaft shop to overhaul your prop make sure they don't use cheap Chinese joints. Specify GKN greasable joints and you wont have to worry about the issue for at least 80K miles. If of course you ensure the repaired unit is balanced and straight post overhaul to protect your major drive line components.
T/V

Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
4wd Low

OK I apologize for taking your reply the wrong way. I looked around the interweb and there are some that say its OK and others that say you cant. The disco cat is stainless isn't it? anyway Im going to give it a go AND Ill grease the shaft every oil change, I made sure I bought a shaft with zerks on the ujoints. Anyway before I wrap it Im going to have to keep the pan gasket from leaking all over the place. I replaced the filter and gasket but for some reason its leaking at the rear.
Originally Posted by jeffh
hacksaw do a search I am pretty sure you will find others having talked about this idea as well. What I said was meant as constructive, as in no need to worry as long as you grease every oil change. with the new shaft. But good luck.

Quick Reply: Thermal wrap on catalytic converter