Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think of getting a Disco...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think of getting a Disco...

Hi, I am somewhat of a DYI'er. ...never owned a British car. I was thinking about getting a Disco II, maybe 100K to 140K miles?

Am I about to make the biggest mistake of my life.. or what??

Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOTS of threads on this. The most recent is...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...very-ii-59595/

And the answer to your last question is "yes". But they're just so darn fun!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of work. But one of the most fun cars you will ever own.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Could be. What are you wanting a Disco for, ever owned a 4 wheeler and how mechanical are you cause as much as I like mine and never part with it, it is a monthly chalenge sometimes.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dan7
LOTS of threads on this. The most recent is...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...very-ii-59595/

And the answer to your last question is "yes". But they're just so darn fun!
I been reading some of the stuff on here... Scary stuff! Maybe I'll get an ML430 instead LOL!! I do love the Land Rovers and Range Rovers, though. I just wish they weren't so notoriously unreliable.

Would an 1998-1999 Range Rover be any better??

Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by former-bmw-guy
I been reading some of the stuff on here... Scary stuff! Maybe I'll get an ML430 instead LOL!! I do love the Land Rovers and Range Rovers, though. I just wish they weren't so notoriously unreliable.

Would an 1998-1999 Range Rover be any better??
Worse. You'd be better off with a Disco. And way worse if you went with an ML430!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also a former BMW guy. My Disco has been great but I only put about 10k miles on it every year. If some of the electrical/ABS issues are scaring you away you may want to consider a D1 Disco.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Just like used bimwahs, older Rovers with multiple owners may not have had things cared for as they should. Plenty of high miles BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and other high cost Euro vehicles. First guy leases it. 2nd guy buys it, looks good at the new house in the burbs. Pretty soon income is down-sized, kids , etc. - maintenance is a $12 oil change at Iffy Lube with a coupon every 25,000 whether it needs it or not.

So Rovers suffer the same problems as other flashy vehicles that cost more new that many wish to part with. The lack of quality maintenace turns the vehicles in to rolling time bombs, kept alive with various bottles of elixer from the parts store.

I like tinkering wth my D1 and the Mercedes W124 Cabrio. New, I would never have stood for the payments.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Mudding

Like what the other guys have said, 'it depends what you are doing with it'. It's a love hate relationship. Most people on here including myself had always liked these vehicles but did not get one when they were new for whatever reason but due to poor resale values, we can all have one now! As an everyday vehicle, they are too expensive to feed, I only get 13 miles to the gallon. I own my own shop and repair MB and BMW, the ML is ok but I prefer my D2 to a ML430.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by discoboy
Like what the other guys have said, 'it depends what you are doing with it'. It's a love hate relationship. Most people on here including myself had always liked these vehicles but did not get one when they were new for whatever reason but due to poor resale values, we can all have one now! As an everyday vehicle, they are too expensive to feed, I only get 13 miles to the gallon. I own my own shop and repair MB and BMW, the ML is ok but I prefer my D2 to a ML430.
Yeah the ML430 is pretty boring. The Disco reminds me of the Chariot on Lost in Space!

Quick Reply: Think of getting a Disco...