Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was

Blueduck,
I was looking at Grand Wags a while back too but you're in for a heap of work with those to turn them into dependable trucks. I found a guy whose whole job in life is to restore these things back to better than factory new, he does a frame-off restoration and the things sell for around $50k. They're things of beauty but heck you probably wouldn't want to run all over the saltwater sand with one of those! What you need my friend is a surplus military vehicle, heck get one for $200 at an auction and then drive it til it's rusted out......

Realistically though if you were going to try and strip down a disco, you'd probably want to tear out the air suspension replacing with coil springs, make sure & get an '01 or up to avoid the Lucas electrics (hope I got the year on that one right), get one without ACE, and also you'd probably need to waterproof all of the components that are down low as I've read you really can't go in more than 2 feet of water without risking problems..... Anyone else have any specific other things just in case he's still thinking about it?

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:19 PM
|
5th Gear

Well I did a little trout fishing today a long way from any paved road and lo and behold I ran into a guy driving an '02 Discovery. I asked him how he liked his Rover and his reply was "love it - but." He proceed to tell me about $600 worth of recent repairs. Apparently this guy has had nothing but Land Rovers for years and he said thats just part of it. Itold himwhat I was looking for and he also said to look at a Series III Rover (which he has owned and said they where much easier to work on than the new ones) like an earlier post mentioned. I'm afraid that you guys have set me straight and have sent me looking elsewhere for my beach cruiser. Thanks for all your insight and when I have my yet to be purchased fishing vehicle (Toyota Landcruiser) in the shop for $2000 worth of repairs I'll say "dang I shoulda bought a Land Rover."

Old 04-07-2007 | 02:40 AM

I'm sure we will see you back again Blueduck! Although Land Rovers don't exactly rate 5 stars in the Top Used 4x4 category,they are a very unique vehicle.You have now got the idea of a Land Rover embedded in your brain,and it will become a deep seeded need as time goes by.Even though you're going to purchase a LandCruiser,you will be noticing every Land Rover on the road and dreaming of what might have been.Then one morning you're going to wake up in a cold sweat and drive to the local LR dealer in your underwear and spend all your money on a late model Series II Discovery so the nagging voices in your head will finally stop.he!he!he!

Old 04-08-2007 | 04:34 PM
Overlanding

Newfoundlandrover has it right, I had a 95 discovey that got sick on me, I was new to rovers and didnt research it out or try to fix it, traded it off and regretted it ever since. That was 4 years ago, and every Discovery that would pass, I would point it out to my wife. When we decided to sell her car. She wanted my Grand Cherokee as its easy for her to get in and out of. She said lets find another Discovery. I restricted my looking to the Discovery 1 as I still have all the repair manuals for it. We looked at several before finding one just outside Cleveland that had spent its life in the southwest so it did not have any of the rust common to rust belt trucks. We ended up with a white 1996 Discovery 1 SE7. There isnt a spot of rust on it anywhere. Just a few of the usual Disco 1 electrical glitches, but nothing that makes it impossible to drive to and from work. Mainly waiting on warmer weather as I dont have a garage to do my repair work in. You will notice every Land Rover you see till you own one, and once you do get one, you will wonder why you never did before. Owning a Land Rover is a way of life, and even with its glitches, I wouldnt have it any other way! Cheers Mike and Michele T

Old 04-08-2007 | 05:06 PM

I think White Discovery I's are stunning looking trucks.In my opinion white is the nicest color on that model...very classy.

Old 04-08-2007 | 05:36 PM

....Come to think of it,one of my fondest Land Rover memories involves a white Series I Discovery.I remember about a month before I purchased my Series II,my Wife and I were on a road trip in my Jeep Cherokee and we had stopped at a tourist info centre on the highway to stretch our legs.A few moments later,a white Series I Discovery pulled up beside my truck and out climbed a very attractive tall short haired brunette(you know the type) wearing a white sleaveless blouse,Serengetti sunglasses and khaki pants.She went inside the tourist centre for a few minutes and came back eating a popsicle.My eyes just about popped out of my head!...and then came the pinch...the very,very hard pinch.

Old 04-08-2007 | 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

cheers to Newfoundland rover and rovermike... just picked up a White 96 and I'm loving it

to the original poster looking for a less-apointed off-roader... ever consider Ranger Rover Classic?

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:09 PM

Did you happen to buy it from a tall,attractive brunette????LOL!

Old 04-10-2007 | 12:57 AM
|
5th Gear

I hear you guys. I pulled up behind one in a Wendys drive thru the other day-Got methinkin again. I even called about a Range Rover thats been sitting on a used car lot in town. Its been there awhile. He said it had "issues". I'm thinkin how bad can it be? OH NO! Help me!

Old 04-10-2007 | 02:01 AM
Overlanding

Sometimes a major issue, really isnt one if you know what rovers like to do when they have "issues" All vehicles have issues, my wifes Jeep has worn out suspension issues and I just fixed its plugged up, rattling cat converter issue. No vehicle is perfect, but in a Land Rover, you travel in comfort, style and security that I have not found in any othersuv on the road. The view of the road from a Discovery is a nice high commanding one, makes the Jeep feel like I am in a car, and it has a 2" lift on it. My only current issue is a blown shock on the passenger side front, makes her a bit shaky when I hit a bump right now. Gonna order the new shocks shortly. Cheers Mike

Quick Reply: Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was