Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying...any advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying...any advice

As you can tell from the subject, I am thinking about buying a 2000 to 2004 Disco.

I am wondering if anyone can recomend certian issues/faults/models to be concerned with while looking to purchase. One of the posts mentioned that maintenance is important. Does this mean just basic oil changes and grease? I also read that the 03, 04 are the best years. Why is that?

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I am new and was wondering what makes Land Rover such a good of road vehicle (compared to other 4x4's such as trucks). The rear coil suspension?

Oh, I more question. I noticed the '05 and up have a dial to select the road traction mode, and earlier years only have a Mode button. Do the earlier years not have these road traction options?

Anyway, I will keep reading and if anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated!

Brad

Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about buying...any advice

I have had a 97, 99, 2000, and a 2003 I have loved all of them. Read all you can about the vehicle, and understand this is not for every one. They can be temperamental. So make sure you really are all about this. Test drive a few and see what you think. 05 and up are totally different so you can't compare them to the older ones. Not to say they are not as capable but they feel different to me. Good luck and happy hunting.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

03 and 04 are the best yrs because they are the newest yrs that offered a "Central Differental Lock", which in laymens terms means awesome traction.
03's are prone to oil pump failures.
It is a $45k+ trk and needs to be maintained as such. Oil changes are very important. You would take care of your Rolex wouldnt you? Most of us use full synthetic motor oil.
You MUST use premium gas, search the forum and you will see why.
They were orginally designed as a susbitute for a tractor, harvest your crops and then take the family to town for ice cream, and they have stayed true to that.
They are the "HUMVEE" of the British Army, the trk you buy is only slightly different from the one's in the jungle with a machine gun mounted on the roof.
They are so good off-road because of the design. Narrow body, nothing sticking out to get taken off by trees, everything underneath is tucked up inside the frame where it is safe from boulders.
Alumium body so it is not as top heavy as a Jeep Cherokee. Boxed steel frame and solid axles that can also be used to build bridges.
And FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. No clutches, no electric switches to go bad, just big heavy gears meshing to give you lots of torge and long life.
These trks are meant to be driven off the ship and into the jungle to never see concret again.
Over 70% of Land Rover's EVER MADE (over 50 yrs worth) are still being driven.
Good luck in your search.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies.

I was reading about this central differential lock. Apparently it was able to be engaged and disengaged at one point? I take it this differential is to allow slipage between the front and rear wheels?

Premium? Isnt the mileage not great; somewhere around 14/16?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14/16 if you're lucky. And that's mostely highway figures. Drive it in the city during winter with winter gas.....and expect more around 10/12 depending on traffic.

I would try to find a low milleage 1999-2000. They are about 3/8 to half the price of a 2003-2004, and you still have the famous nipple that allows you to install center diff lock, and a budget that will allow you to face the inevitable first year of repairs.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So far everyone has given you some good information. I will add on, do a TON of research and dont rush into the first one you like. Obviously test drive a couple, I did and on one i found that it was messed up big time, and then after a bit more shopping I found mine and I am extremely happy I didn't buy any of the other ones. The biggest thing you need to do before you buy, if possible, bring it by Land Rover or an Independent land rover mechanic and have them do a quick check on it, they will tell you if something is wrong with it. If you don't have either one near by, at least bring it to a mechanic of some sort.

If you look at one and you have any question or concerns come on here and someone will be able to help you out and point you in the right direction. Also, expect to spend up to $1000 dollars on the first mechanical "check-up". Unfortunately when certain rover owners realize they might sell their truck in a year or two they stop doing the needed up-keep for the truck since it is a bit more expensive than most cars to do, so certain things will need to be updated and fixed the first time. But you wont regret it in the long run.

The biggest thing is to keep everything up to date on it. Once i got over the "first 2 months" rover slump the truck has been GREAT. I just had a few problems with stuff the previous owner neglected. And last, the rover community is great. This forum is a great example, people will always try and help you if something goes wrong or if you have any questions. Good luck finding a disco, keep us updated on what/if you buy!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

14/16 mpg isint bad for a 6000 lbs full-time-fourwheel drive suv.
The central diff lock "locks" all four wheels together so that they all turn at the same speed and with the same amount of power.
BTW, I get 20+ on the highway.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Just one clarification. The '04 has the center differential lock, but the '03 does not.

A nice plus for the '03 and '04 models is that the engine displacement was increased to 4.6 liters and I think 217 horsepower. When I was looking, I drove a 2002 as well as the 2004, and the power increase makes a world of difference.

Dave

Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: z28summit

Thanks for the replies.

I was reading about this central differential lock. Apparently it was able to be engaged and disengaged at one point? I take it this differential is to allow slipage between the front and rear wheels?

Premium? Isnt the mileage not great; somewhere around 14/16?
Just read this one, and as the last post states, the 03 does not have CDL. I would hold out for an 04, you get the best of everything. CDL, 4.6, and all of the normal goodies on a D2. I even like the roof bars (tubular) better....

Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM
4th Gear

I just bought my first Disco tonight ('03 SE CPO w/40k miles) so I'll be asking more questions than I am able to answer, but I drove half a dozen trucks over the past fews days andperceiveda world of difference between the 4.0L 190 hp engine and the 4.6L 217 hp engine. Two different trucks, IMHO...even drove an '02 with 10k miles and it seemed to fall very short of the '03 and '04 sleds climbing hills orunder acceleration... Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying...any advice