Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about coming back to Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyric
Thank you, as I feel the same.

I love the Range Rovers as well but not even a new Range Rover could change my mind. Something about the D2's I love and feel as one when driving. I have owned a 04' Toyota 4Runner, 07' Infiniti FX45, 98' Infiniti QX4 and of course the 02' Land Rover Discovery 2. Out of all these I have owned and all the vehicles I have been in or drove in my life. Nothing was like the D2, there is something special about that vehicle.
There is something special about these vehicles. I have driven 4 door jeeps, G-wagens (regular and the supercharged), GL450 and 550 and owned a 4runner as well. Nothing compares!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebg18t
I really don't need an explanation. You apparently know it all anyways.

Good luck!
ebg18t - I never once claimed to know it all BUT removing a strut to place a spacer on top does not take a genius. All I'm saying is I have owned a D2 and have replaced things as they broke down or needed to be upgraded and never had some of the most pain in the a** issues I have had with the 4Runner, like placing a darn spacers in.

Like I said on the 4Runner site, it will comedown to these vehicles.

03-04 Land Rover Discovery 2
03-07 Land Rover Range Rover
89-97 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series
02-04 Mercedes G500 - highly unlikely

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgi 07
There is something special about these vehicles. I have driven 4 door jeeps, G-wagens (regular and the supercharged), GL450 and 550 and owned a 4runner as well. Nothing compares!
Totally agree.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebg18t - I never once claimed to know it all BUT removing a strut to place a spacer on top does not take a genius. All I'm saying is I have owned a D2 and have replaced things as they broke down or needed to be upgraded and never had some of the most pain in the a** issues I have had with the 4Runner, like placing a darn spacers in.

Like I said on the 4Runner site, it will comedown to these vehicles.

03-04 Land Rover Discovery 2
03-07 Land Rover Range Rover
89-97 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series
02-04 Mercedes G500 - highly unlikely
As I mentioned on the other site I would do the land cruiser. Tons of aftermarket support and fairly reliable.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you, as I feel the same.

I love the Range Rovers as well but not even a new Range Rover could change my mind. Something about the D2's I love and feel as one when driving. I have owned a 04' Toyota 4Runner, 07' Infiniti FX45, 98' Infiniti QX4 and of course the 02' Land Rover Discovery 2. Out of all these I have owned and all the vehicles I have been in or drove in my life. Nothing was like the D2, there is something special about that vehicle.
Yes there is.. One vehicle I have a sweet spot for is the range rover I owned one for a couple weeks but sold double what I paid. I love the shape.. Classic p38 or 06 range rover sport..

The p38 I had really scared me due to the becm though.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I love my DII. Honestly most people think DIs and DIIs look almost the same, but there's no question when you're looking at them in real life and watching their road presence.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ebg18t
As I mentioned on the other site I would do the land cruiser. Tons of aftermarket support and fairly reliable.
Dont get me wrong. I love love love the older Land Cruisers but they seem a little steep in price when you look at the milage. I cannot wrap my head around paying above $10,000 for a vehicle with 175,000 to 250,000 miles. I know they run forever but it scares me.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I love my DII. Honestly most people think DIs and DIIs look almost the same, but there's no question when you're looking at them in real life and watching their road presence.
So true.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have the scratch - hands down an '06-07 Range Rover Supercharged. I had an '06 fullsize supercharged and it was one of the most amazing cars I ever owned. Absolutely, loved it. Loved it so much I bought a DII as a daily driver and garaged the RR.

FYI. Earlier year Rangies (04-05) w/ the BMW engine have/had some issues w/ the cooling systems.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I say go for it man! Personally I'd recommend a 2004 D2. Not so much because of the "oil pump fear" but because symbolically its the final year of the classical Disco styling..... everything there after just looks to "asian" or silly. I even go so far as to recommend you going for a 2004 HSE Disco!

Make sure you take your time when shopping and try to purchase one that has extensive records back to day 1. I was lucky that my 04 came with such documentation and the original factory window sticker sheet that has all the vehicle specs! Once you found something that speaks to you, just be sure to get a pre inspection and thereafter just keep up with DiscoMikes service list and you will be a happy Disco camper.

IF and when you get a Rover be sure to post some pics and tell us all about it. Dont worry about what anyone else has to say. If you like it and if it speaks to you then thats all that matters. Some people love Disco's others dont. Some have good luck others have bad luck. In my biased opinion they are wonderful trucks, fully capable on and off-road, easy to work on and look amazing. GET A 2004 DISCO!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about coming back to Land Rover