Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about making my Nanocom available for rent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

It's ok I'm YouTube certified

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:32 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Call me a selfish pr!ck but no way would I mail off my $400+ Nanocom to someone who probably never used one before or not used a diagnostic tester at all. PayPal, Google wallet, bitcoin... nah... I wouldn't do it.
I've driven to help many Disco owners on other forums who lived within an hour radius of my house. I was there to show them how to use it properly and I never asked for money. I received a 'few' beers, met some great people and I compared and learned quite a bit about their TD5 diesel systems vs my V8 systems.

There is a Nanocom owners map that has a gang of us in the UK with them but shows only 1 person in Florida... https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...n1ZdQFDD-ed-zo
I wonder what puts a Nanocom owner on the map then?
Or if you have to register it yourself?
I bought my Nanocom new over a year ago, and I'm in Va/U.S
Anyone needing to use it free is welcome to come to me.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Bear in mind - you have to be very particular about the packaging to minimize risk for both parties.
Include instructions on repackaging - tracking number - shipping service etc
Maybe get some foam and custom cut the foam to fit the unit and a specific box size to eliminate guesswork on repackaging the thing.

I see little risk here as you're renting to folks whom actually need it and own LR's. Its not a random device that any Joe Blow would rent like from the auto parts store.
You're dealing with a more unique crowd so I wouldnt worry too much about it......

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
Bear in mind - you have to be very particular about the packaging to minimize risk for both parties.
Include instructions on repackaging - tracking number - shipping service etc
Maybe get some foam and custom cut the foam to fit the unit and a specific box size to eliminate guesswork on repackaging the thing.

I see little risk here as you're renting to folks whom actually need it and own LR's. Its not a random device that any Joe Blow would rent like from the auto parts store.
You're dealing with a more unique crowd so I wouldnt worry too much about it......
There is pick-n-pull foam available that would work nicely. My plan for return was to keep all of the Ops packaging and re-ship using it.

The following users liked this post:
NewToTheTwo (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

The key thing here, recalling a previous attempt with an ABS delete tool, is to ship it back to the owner and not get into the mistake of shipping the module to the next person in line.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman614
What all should I do with the Nanocom while I have it, maximize my money/time with it. I have a Key fob to program, an 04 SLABS unit for T-case diff lock(does that need anything checked or changed, idk if it had coils or airbags), anything else? May as well compile a list to help others.

1999 D2, coil suspension, no 2nd air
I'd disable some of the start-up warning chimes like the seatbelt one. I did it in my 2004 disco and haven't yet on the 2002, and I didn't realize how much I appreciate the silence.

About to head out and get it over to you!

Old 11-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Call me a selfish pr!ck but no way would I mail off my $400+ Nanocom to someone who probably never used one before or not used a diagnostic tester at all. PayPal, Google wallet, bitcoin... nah... I wouldn't do it.
I've driven to help many Disco owners on other forums who lived within an hour radius of my house. I was there to show them how to use it properly and I never asked for money. I received a 'few' beers, met some great people and I compared and learned quite a bit about their TD5 diesel systems vs my V8 systems.

There is a Nanocom owners map that has a gang of us in the UK with them but shows only 1 person in Florida... https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...n1ZdQFDD-ed-zo
Can you unpack this a little bit more? I'm just curious to know if I'm not thinking of something obvious. If it's broken, I have the renter's money to buy a replacement. And if the operator doesn't know how to use it properly, they run the risk of damaging their disco, not damaging the Nanocom, right?

Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

One last call for settings I should look at or change before I send this back. I've already done the following:
  1. Programmed key fob
  2. Checked coil/SLS setting on swapped SRD000150 SLABS unit
  3. Disabled superlock
  4. Disabled lock when exceeding # mph
  5. Turned off headlight washers (aftermarket bumper)
  6. Found a transmission setting in Instrument Pack that was set to Manual(changed to automatic)
  7. Still on the fence about this Bathrobe Setting ​​

Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

I disabled the alarm in my D2(with Nanocom) to prevent any future problems with it.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Pro Wrench

I disabled the option that keeps the other three doors locked until you click unlock again. That got annoying and I figured it'll extend the life of the remote since you're cutting button depressions by half. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another thing: any warning chimes you might not want on.

Quick Reply: Thinking about making my Nanocom available for rent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯